Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:56 PM   #1

Hi all!

Have any of you noticed any rogue pixels straight out of the box? I seem to have one (or maybe it is five) "hot/stuck" pixel always in the same spot even at iso 200 and short daylight exposures. It looks like a whitish "cross" or "plus sign" when viewed at 200-400%. I'm trying to determine if this is something I should live with or if it's worth the hassle of mail-returning to the vendor??

Any helpfull feedback/experiences will be appreciated! :?
zerotonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:16 PM   #2

Try downloading DeadPixelTest.exe and running the software to examine results from 1/10S, 1S & 10S exposures with the lens cap ON.

This will give some idea as to the problem.

There should be no hot pixelsat 1/10S with potential a few at 1S and 10S.

Dead pixels are dead irrespective of exposure.

Personally, I'd return the camera if I experienced hot pixels at shutter speeds of 1/10S or faster - they are a fact of life at slower shutter speeds.

I would not accept dead pixels on a new camera.

If in doubt - take it back for replacement before it's too old otherwise it gets more difficult to press for a replacement as a repair is usually offered.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:40 PM   #3

With CCDs there is a certain number of acceptable dead pixels. Just like with the LCD monitors. I think its something like 6.

With my istDs i thought i had some errors with the ccd as i had the same spot in every photo - it looked like a smudge. so i took it back, they sent it to the only place in Perth that does pentax and it was just some dust that had gotten in there - blow it out and it was gone.

So try that - just get one of those blower things give it a squirt (not the compressd air though, or a brush)
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Administrator

zerotonine wrote:
Quote:
Hi all!

Have any of you noticed any rogue pixels straight out of the box? I seem to have one (or maybe it is five) "hot/stuck" pixel always in the same spot even at iso 200 and short daylight exposures. It looks like a whitish "cross" or "plus sign" when viewed at 200-400%. I'm trying to determine if this is something I should live with or if it's worth the hassle of mail-returning to the vendor??

Any helpfull feedback/experiences will be appreciated! :?
Well, I would probably get it replaced or repaired.

I did see a report from one user that sent his back to Pentax. He said they remapped the pixels at no cost. That's pretty typical of how manufacturers handle it when hot pixels are visible in images at normal (versus longer exposure) shutter speeds.

Many camera models contain a bad pixel table in EEPROM. The camera simply interpolates values from adjacent pixels to replace any pixels that are stuck. Manufacturers have software that can update this bad pixel table to fix problems that were not idenfied in QC (and you can find "unauthorized" third party utilities to map out bad pixels for some older model cameras from Nikon and Olympus).

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a way for a user to do this themselves with Pentax DSLR models (although this is possible with some camera models now).

Are you sure it's hot/stuck pixels? You may want to post an example of what you're seeing.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:48 PM   #5

Thanks guys for all the suggestions! As this was brand new out of the box, I chose to roll the dice and sent it back to the vendor. For the $14 shipping charge, I figured it wasworth a shot & a one week wait. BTW, the vendor "Flashpoint Cameras" on eBay (17th St Photo in NYC) has been very good right from the start - no gimmicks, no sales pitch - just sent out the camera right away for a very good price!

Based on the on-line research that I did, I'm certain that it wasn't dirt or dust. It looked like a plus sign, changing color from white to greenish. I went to the local Ritz here in Santa Fe, and was pleasantly surprised that they are actually pushing the Ds and feature it in their little catalog! Anyways I shot some samples with the display model they had & it produced totaly clean pics.

So wish me luck with the replacement! (*knocks on wood*)

P.S. I was also pleasantly surprised how well the Ds works with my K and KA lenses.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:18 AM   #6

Thanks again for the suggestions! Looks like my gamble paid off, and the replacement Ds has no hot or stuck pixels at all! Yeah!

I'm really getting to like this little camera. I'm still amazed at how much detail is capured and how clean the images are! I could only dream of film scans like this!

All's well that starts well!