Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:57 AM   #1

I have an Olympus T32 external flash, a relic from my old Olympus SLR days before recently converting to the *ist DS ( a delightful experience).

The flash fits on the shoe, but seems the *ist DS cannot control it - generally what I get is a complete white-out. As a novice to this field, what dictates whether the flash is compatible or not ? Are there any software settings in the camera I should be fiddling around with ?

Assuming the answer is as I expect, I cannot use the T32, anybody offer a recommendation for a good powerful flash for amateur use ?
Martyn T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:39 AM   #2
wll

Martyn T,

I just bought a Metz 54 4i and it is great, but ... It ia big andexpensive.

The Pentax AF 360 is the best and fully dedicatedflash for this camera and the Sigma 500 series has gotten good reviews also.

Good luck as I also did not know much about flash but for myself the Metz was a good choice.

wll
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:58 AM   #3

You can use it as a manual flash. On the camera, set the flash to manual under the Fn button, and set the mode dial to M. Set the shutter to 1/180 sec. and the aperature according to the distance to the subject and the guide # of your flash. The formula is in the manual, in the flash section.

I don't believe that you'll be able to take advantage of the TTL or P-TTL flash capabilities of the Ds.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:13 PM   #4

I have the sigma 500ST flash, it was much cheaper than the pentax which is why i got it. If i had more cash at the time i wouldve got the pentax though

The bottom of your flash needs to look like this for it to sync properly with the camera and operate automatically:

Although i find i usually set the shutter and apeture manually anyway
Attached Images

errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:10 PM   #5

Thanks to Lou, very helpful. I don't have the original manual, but found a cunningly reversible panel which deselects fully automatic control and instead provides a sliding control for flash intensity and a built in calibration chart correlating ASA/distance/aperture/flash intensity.

Only question I am left with, if I bounce the flash, any guidance how to figure out the settings to use ? Trial and error is obviously one ready option with a digital, but a bit irritating for the subject if alive ! I suspect here is the clear advantage of a flash with compatible TTL
Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:12 PM   #6

And thanks also for the photo of the required shoe, incompatability between the camera and flash is obvious when you look !

But why so insistent on setting the aperture and speed manually ? You find you don't get good results with the full automatic ?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:50 AM   #7

I dunno, I just find i get a better exposure after i take a automatic, and then adjust based off that. Sometimes i find it can be a little over exposed especially if its not bounced
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:07 PM   #8

Martyn T. wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to Lou, very helpful. I don't have the original manual, but found a cunningly reversible panel which deselects fully automatic control and instead provides a sliding control for flash intensity and a built in calibration chart correlating ASA/distance/aperture/flash intensity.

Only question I am left with, if I bounce the flash, any guidance how to figure out the settings to use ? Trial and error is obviously one ready option with a digital, but a bit irritating for the subject if alive ! I suspect here is the clear advantage of a flash with compatible TTL
The calculator on my old flash, with a GN of 40, shows a difference of one full stop when using the bounce bracket (small device that holds a white card at a 45 degree angle directly above the flash). I would think that 1to 2 stops would work when bouncing off of an 8' ceiling.

Lou
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:08 AM   #9

The backward compatibility of this camera seems to extend to flash units as well as lenses. I picked up an old Vivitar Series 1 600 MPO (dedicated for Minolta, Pentax, and Oly)flash for $25, but with no manual. I called Vivitar cust. ser. and was told that the TTL feature of the flash would not work on the Ds (because of the lack of a film plane, which didn't make sense), but that the two auto modes and manual mode would work just fine.

Long story short: TTL works, nailing perfect exposures in every lighting situation that I could find in a short walk through my house, including harsh backlighting. So it seems that if an older flash is Pentax dedicated, ALL the features of the unit will work when coupled to the Ds,and even those that are camera dependent, such asred eye reduction.

Just FYI, Lou