Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 16, 2005, 3:15 PM   #11

Just went to a local store to check out the DS and saw the Nikon D50. Found my hands fit the D50 the best so will be purchasing that. They just got the D50 in today.
jonglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:36 PM   #12
KSV

Congrats! I always been in vision that main things is to be comfortable with camera of your choice - if you not comfortable it is does not matter how good camera is, uncomfortable camera would discourage you to take pix. From another hand if you more happy with camera and pick it up more often, then you will make more pix - and this is what it is for :-). Quality wise itwill not disappointed you - it use the same Sony sensor as D70(s) and *istD(S,L).Personal advise: do not rush to buy everything at once; get camera with kit lens (not the best, but good enough), use it little and only after that decide what extra stuff do you need.

Cheers! :|
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:13 AM   #13

Check out the features on the D50 compared to the D70 or DS before you buy to make sure you are not purchasing a camera that will not do everything you want it to do.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 4:39 PM   #14

The DL isn't available yet. Comparing the 350D to the DS isn't fair. The viewfinder in the DS is hands down better than a mirror viewfinder. (Unless you like tunnel vision.)

Handle and USE both the 350D and the DS. One of them will tell you that it's the one for you. Go with it. Canon has a full gamut of excellent lenses as does Pentax. With Pentax, you can use all of the older lenses on the DS. Canon is substantially more restrictive.

Buy the one that works for you and start with the kit lens. Either is a reasonable choice. Isn't it nice to know that it's really hard to go wrong.
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:22 AM   #15

Pentax Id say is much cheaper so better off for the beginning amatuer.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:41 PM   #16

Pentax also does a nice job at higher ISO in keeping the image noise down.

This image was shot with my DS at ISO 800.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:44 PM   #17

The biggest advantage of Pentax is not the availablity of cheap Sigma lenses, they are available for all camera makes, no the big advantage is cheap used high quality lenses. The Pentax *ist DL will use pretty much any K-mount lens made by Pentax (plus lots of other lens options). Pentax A-series glass will not autofocus but all other features will work, and there are some excellent lenses in this group especially if you are interested in prime focal lengths instead of zooms.

All DSLRs take excellent pictures, arguing over noise levels at various ISOs is a moot point unless you are planning on very large prints of very low light subjects. As for 6MP versus 8MP, again this is only a point for very large prints.

Examine your needs, look at the different features and then decide. Issues such as ergonomics, battery type, viewfinder image and other handling issues are far more important than resolution.

Ira

PS I went from over 25 years of Pentax and Minolta SLRs to a Fuji S7000 digicam. The freedom afforded by a light, all-in-one camera outweighs the performance shortfall. Will I eventually get a DSLR?... probably, but I have used several models including a lot of time with a Canon 20D, and I don't feel that I am missing out on much for the photography I usually do. If action is your thing a DSLR is very useful but if most of your subjects sit still a digicam is no problem.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:32 PM   #18
igo

Oooooh. Much groovy!
igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:06 AM   #19

One factor you cannot ignore is the IS line of lens from Canon. If you ever want one, you SOL with Pentax.IMHO, the Pentax is much more comfortable to hold, which may out weigh the IS lens issue.Personally, I'm waiting for Konica-Minolta to come out with a smaller, less expensive Maxxum withÂ*stabilization built into the body like the 7D.
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:08 PM   #20
KSV

allanmarcus wrote:
Quote:
One factor you cannot ignore is the IS line of lens from Canon.
It is very true. But if one can (and wish) afford very expensive IS lens how (s)he can ever look at cheap toy (I mean 350D)? For them there is 20D available. :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote