Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:38 PM   #1

I've surfed around and am interested in the DL and the Rebel XT. I'm a dSLR newbie and don't have any lenses to re-use.

Asking a few of my dSLR friends, everyone recommends the Canon, but I can't stomach the bad ergonomics and buying anything that says 'Rebel' on it (although we love Agassi!).

Can anyone verify whether the startup time and continuous shooting mode is much worse compared to the Rebel XT? In terms of the auto-focus points, what does it really mean if it's 3 versus 11? Same goes for the viewfinder difference - what does it mean?

As you can probably tell from my questions, I'm more of a point and shoot person but want the continuous shooting modes and fast startup times to capture our baby and just want something relatively simple although I'll play around with the aperture priority mode at some point.

Lastly, any update exactly when the DL will be available in July? Is Pentax usually accurate with those dates?

Thanks,
jonglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:23 PM   #2

You could ask about CMOS vs CCD.

How are you doing on finding lenses for each camera?
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:33 PM   #3

Are you quite sure you need a dslr? I'm only asking because you said that you're more of a P&S person and dslrs are definitlely not. A lot of the digicams today have full manual features. I myself have been using the Minolta Z3 for several months and it's a great little camera (4mp,with continuous and progressive capture, 12x optical zoom). There are more more capable ultrazooms in the market but their costs are not that far away from the entry level dslrs.

I also recently purchased the *istDs. Even though it's one of the smallest, it's still comes out big and heavy when compared to the Z3. No way am I going to be able to pocket this camera.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:56 PM   #4

i've got the istds and fuji s7000z. they're about the same size and i like them both. if you're not wanting to worry about lenses then get a prosumer cam. most are great at p&s.

the new istdl is so new i doubt anyone here can give an informed review about it. from what i've heard it will be cheaper than the ds but you're considering the xt so money is not the factor. i saw the ds on ebay(where i got mine) for 729us, BINow deliverd. 100 less than i paid 3 months ago. this was w/the kit lens. get the ds, you'll be happy w/it.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:43 PM   #5
KSV

jonglee wrote:
As said DL is very new, difficult to say. I would join robar and recommend DS - IMHO much better then 350D.
Quote:
Can anyone verify whether the startup time and continuous shooting mode is much worse compared to the Rebel XT?
Start-up time of DS almost instantaneous - probably it 0.3 sec v 0.2 sec of XT, but in reality it is ready straight away. Continuous shooting about same speed, but XT has bigger buffer 14 v 8. I do not really care, because IMHO 8 is more then enough.
Quote:
In terms of the auto-focus points, what does it really mean if it's 3 versus 11?
Pentax AF is little slower then Canon, but *MUCH* more accurate. Having fast lens and CV3 battery speed focus up.
Quote:
Same goes for the viewfinder difference - what does it mean?
It is personal, but I just can not use Canon dim tunnel-like viewfinder. Particularly after using proper one on DS. (Mind you, that DL will have viewfinder similar to XT). IMHO it is huge difference, but you really should go to shop and try side by side for yourself.

In short I would recommend DS over XT because it is more like camera instead of electronic gizmo - if it does make sense. It include about everything - better ergonomics, more rigid construction, bright and more useful viewfinder, better LCD, very logical and intuitive controls, fully compatible with almost any lens ever made by Pentax.

Biggest strength of Canon IMHO is availability fast tele glass with IS (although VERY expensive).

Both camera give you very fine pix when used properly and you should pick one which is most comfortable for YOU.

Cheers

KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:55 PM   #6

I disagree with pentax AF being more accurate. From my experience.. this is my first pentax SLR mind you, the others might be better with different lenses (and i have only a couple cheap Sigma AFs) sometimes they are very indecisive at focusing and occasionally do not end up settling on the subject to focus.

Which is the benefit of pentax, if funds are an issue you can buy cheap sigma lenses which are alright for normal use and wont cost a fortune.

Im extremely happy with my Ds and have taken some pretty good pics which im quite proud of but honestly if id had more money to burn id have gone with something like the 20D. I just like the canon lenses better
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:21 PM   #7
KSV

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
I disagree with pentax AF being more accurate.
Well, I can not complain at all - probably you should check your AF system? In my experience lens with very small rotation from minimum focusing distance to infinity (i.e. cheap Sigma lenses) have tendency to be faster but less accurate. But it is also difficult to focus them in manual mode either. Get proper lens and you will not be disappointed :-)

Whats about 20D - great camera IMHO. But expensive. I was dreaming about it, but never can justify money asked. Strange indeed, but since I have DS I do not feel jealous anymore to 20D owners :-)

Canon make *VERY* decent glass in telefoto area. Particularly IS. Bloody expensive. But Pentax 31 and 77 lim is still unbeaten. As well as 50/1.4. Have a look here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-05-02.shtml. And summary why I like DS is very well explained here: http://luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-jan-05.shtml

Cheers

KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:05 PM   #8

Although it's not on Steve's website, should the Nikon D50 also be a consideration? All I'm wondering is if it should be in the same entry-level dSLR.

Thanks again - this is quite helpful.
jonglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:30 PM   #9

No matter which brand you are going to choose you wont be disappointed. They are all very good cameras

But if you are going to go pentax get the istDs. As far as i know, the DL basically is exactly the same specifications but will be more expensive (i think?). You wont be unhappy with the Ds, and they have come down in price considerably

Get it with the kit lens and get a cheap 200mm zoom and you will be set for a while. Until you realise you need more then a 200mm. Then you realize you need a good macro, then filters, etc etc. Expensive hobby. Lucky we dont have to process film anymore!
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:33 PM   #10

[align=left]HHow big are your hands? Lots of reviews (and a lengthy post of my own below) complain about the ergonomics of the Rebel XT for those of us with bigger hands. I could only hold the XT with an awkwardly placed thumb and two fingers. I noticed that on the demo model in the store there were a number of scratches between the grip and the lens mount on the Canon where customers had tried to wedge their fingers. If you ahve smaller hands, this may not apply.

The difference in the viewfinder is also noticeable.

Good luck on your choice. but be sure to handle them rather than order on line on the basis of reviews (or of opinons like mine.)
[/align]
67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote