Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:31 PM   #1

in either of its two forms? I'm interested because of its range, size and the fact it can do (apparently) pretty good Macro. It's also $100 CAN cheaper than the Pentax 50-200.

Yesterday, I tried out two used Pentax A series 70-210 but couldn't seem to get either to snap into focus in a way that satisfies me. (As an aside for any astronomy buffs, I have an Astrophysics refractor and the snap into focus is what I appreciate about that scope.)

Are there any other reasonable zooms I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance.
67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:53 PM   #2

Ooops, I missed the thread lower on the page. My apologies.

I'm leaning pretty strongly in the direction of the Sigma and the photos there have reinforced the leaning.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:55 PM   #3

Ooops. missed the thread lower on the page. It's reinforced the leaning to the Sigma.

PS My first apology came out black on black, ie, illegible.

What am I doing wrong?
Old Jun 23, 2005, 5:47 PM   #4

heres one i took with one of them lenses
Attached Images

compwhiz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:07 PM   #5

in my thread below , you can see this is a pretty good lens for <$200us. just be sure you get the APO version altho i've seen some great pix taken with the non-APO .. only thing i dislike about it is it's so long..
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:46 PM   #6

Thanks, for those shots in the other thread and for the advice. The trouble is that the pricing seems odd here in Vancouver. The DL version is $249 CAN and the APO $449, which seems a huge markup to me! It would have to be a MUCH better lens to warrant paying nearly double the amount.

The new Pentax 50-200 mm DA is about $350.

I picked up a Pentax A 50 mm 1.7 the other day and like it very much but I haven't had much luck on used zooms.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:17 PM   #7

Nice shot. Thanks! Which version were you using, the Apo or the DL?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:42 AM   #8

here's another w/the 70-300. not as crisp as it will do but it's passable, barely.
Attached Images

Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:54 AM   #9

Passable??? I wish I could take passable shots like that!

I've been doing a little searching on the Internet and have found a couple of Canadian stores where the difference between the APO and non APO versions is less than here in Vancouver. I'm leaning to the Sigma pretty strongly right now.

I ought to mention that the chief reason I'm looking for a lens like this is for wildlife. I see eagles regularly, even, sometimes, right outside our window. If I get out of the city, which I do regularly, there are seals, otters, deer and sometimes bears. I would want a looong telephoto for the latter. :-)

The macro would be a very enjoyable bonus.

I don't want to carry a heavy lens or a ton of gear in our spectacular mountains. My priorities are

- quality
- light weight
- reasonable cost

The Pentax 50-200 and Sigma 55-200 have the advantage of weight but the disadvantage of no macro and lower top end telephoto (see remark about bears.)
Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:15 AM   #10

67Cup wrote:
Quote:
Passable??? I wish I could take passable shots like that!

I've been doing a little searching on the Internet and have found a couple of Canadian stores where the difference between the APO and non APO versions is less than here in Vancouver. I'm leaning to the Sigma pretty strongly right now.

I ought to mention that the chief reason I'm looking for a lens like this is for wildlife. I see eagles regularly, even, sometimes, right outside our window. If I get out of the city, which I do regularly, there are seals, otters, deer and sometimes bears. I would want a looong telephoto for the latter. :-)

The macro would be a very enjoyable bonus.

I don't want to carry a heavy lens or a ton of gear in our spectacular mountains. My priorities are

- quality
- light weight
- reasonable cost

The Pentax 50-200 and Sigma 55-200 have the advantage of weight but the disadvantage of no macro and lower top end telephoto (see remark about bears.)
the 70-300 weighs in at under 21 ounces, about the same as the ist. for the $$ it's a lot of bang for the buck. if you get it consider a QUALITY 1.4-2x converter. problem there is that you'll probably pay as much for it as you did for the 70-300, but it would work on any lens you have.