Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:16 PM   #1

I would like to submit several digital photos taken with the Pentax 1stDS WITHOUT FLASH.

This sample was taken with my Pentax 1stDS using a Sigma 28-300mm lens. The ISO was 3200, the exposure was F 5.0 at 1/125th

If anyone is interested, we can walk through exactly how to do this, if we do it before 06/27 when I have to leave to do Digital Camera Workshops in Russia. I will be back around 07/20.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:32 AM   #2

Set the ISO to 3200, the shutter to 125,f to f5. Focus. What else?
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:48 AM   #3

Uh...just a newbie here but I believe that shot could've been taken at ISO 800 or 1600-WITHOUT FLASH. Here's one of my son taken handheld with the kit lens (no flash). ISO 800, shutter at 1/8, aperture at f/3.5, focal length 27mm. It was taken at around 5:45 am so it was still a bit dark inside the house.

Nols
Attached Images

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:50 AM   #4

Both shots are quite good, im impressed I cant see any visible noise.

Perhaps the people in that show were moving quite fast and a shutter of 1/8 (which Nols used) wouldve been way too slow, and hence needing the higher ISO to use a faster shutter
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 3:01 AM   #5

You're probably right. I did not consider that. There's no info regarding subject distance and focal length also so we really can't tell if a lower ISO speed was possible. Still, you'd expect that stage performances like those to be brightly lit. Don't know if they'd allow flash though.

Nols
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:30 PM   #6

No, flash is not allowed at the Shanghai Acrobatic Show. I was about 100 feet from the stage and on the right. Yes, this was the opening number and it was all action, so the 1/125 shutter speed was a necessity.

I was using a Sigma 28-300mm lens and it was zoomed out to around 210, which when you add in the 1.5 factor equals 315mm effective. The shot was also hand held, so I was pleased with the resulting photo. I honestly don't believe that ISO 1600 would have been effective as it would have produced a lower shutter speed, and I need to stop the action on stage.

Note also that the image is relatively noiseless, as well. Here is another photo taken that same night.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:01 AM   #7
igo

Terrific color.
igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:24 AM   #8

Thanks for posting the pic and the data Sarah. I haven't had a chance to shoot at 3200 yet. I also plan on someday purchasing a zoom in the 300mm range so atleast that pic gave me some idea onthe Sigma'sperformance.