Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:29 AM   #11

Yeah, if the shutter is so slow you need to have IS to get a sharp picture, whats the use of shooting moving subjects

edit: typo
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:48 AM   #12

What's the point of someone like Bob Atkins (well known Photographer) doing an in-depth review of IS (as well as many many other lens, cameras and accessories) if people don't read it?¬* Also check out http://bobatkins.com¬* -- The point of being able to shoot at 1/8 rather then 1/30 is that with an IS lens, you can shoot at 1/8 and let more light in the lens by have a smaller f-stop. This is turn lets you get a shot in lower light that you might not otherwise have been able to get. In general, you get 2 f-stop more light with an IS lens (three on the Nikor VR lens). Yes, it's true that IS (and VR) is probably better for longer lens, but the point was that it's not useless on the shorter lens either.¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* From what I've read from other blogs and posts on photo.net and elsewhere, the *ist DS is laid out about as good as a camera can be. Its ergonomics are superior and its viewfinder larger and better than the Rebel XT. These factors are just as important to me as specifications and technical features, which is why I'm have such a hard time picking between the *ist DS and the Rebel XT. Throw in the *ist DL, which is a stripped down DS for $100 less, and for an amateur photographer like me, the Pentax line is looking pretty good. -Allan¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*I wish I knew how to put a return into these posts. The forum seems to strip out my returns :-(¬*¬* ¬*
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:57 AM   #13

But dont get the DL, it is bascially the DS with a mirror viewfinder.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:28 PM   #14
KSV

Allan, I agree withwhat you say - IS allow to stop down in 2 stops (roughly). So ifyouhave 300 lens and environment require say 1/60 exposure it would be difficult to get this shoot from hand, but possible with IS because it became equivalent of 1/250 (as an example). Everything should be OK because 1/60 is good enough for your subject and IS stop your handshaking. With 1/8 you right, you can get hand-held shot with say 35mm equivalent lens, but your subject can (and will) move making pix "sharp blurry"! I am talking not from theory, but from practical use IS in FZ10. From another hand you can have extra 2 stops by replacing IS lens with fast primeand this is whole point what I like to make. IMHO IS in short lenses semi-useless and IMHO it is much better (and often cheaper) solution to get proper prime which is alsoarguably much better opticallythenquestionable 5.6 zoom IS
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:32 PM   #15

What about a prime 2.8 IS? :lol:
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:45 PM   #16
KSV

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
What about a prime 2.8 IS? :lol:
Exactly! 300/2.8 IS is the one! But price on those stuff put me off so much, that I decide stick to Pentax forever :-) And besides I enjoy very much close-ups and landscapes. Plus dislike birds - each and every time when I see one in my viewfinder, I can not stop thinking how much s**t it can deploy on my car! :lol:
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote