Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:00 AM   #1

I just read a review that commented that shots in jpen mode on the pentax aren't that great; they recommended using raw. Their problem with the pentax is that pentax *ist DS doesn't compress (lossless) raw at all. Is this still true? How big is a raw photo with the *ist DS?
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:17 AM   #2

About 10 mb. In the menu options, set TONE = Natural (instead of bright), QUALITY = ***and SHARPNESS = +1, and your jpegs will be just fine @ around 1 mb.

Caution: In the PICTURE MODE settings on the Mode dial, the only tone setting available is Bright, which can make jpegs appear over processed, but ymmv. Most shoot in RAW when using the Picture modes.

Hope this helps, Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:46 AM   #3

i've got NO problem w/jpg. the quality is fine w/me at default.
thing is, that i've gotten use to shooting in raw and only use jpg for P&S. it'll make you think more about your shot knowing you are going to have to post process. i've gotten outstanding results using both formats.

i NEVER use any of the picture modes. i can think for myself.. i normally shoot in Av or manual.

forgot to say that a jpg at highest res is about 2.5megs
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:53 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you. I'm still trying to decide between the Rebel Xt and *ist DS. I'm also waiting for Konica to come out with the 5D, so I'm not in a hurry right . My timeline is Spetember for a new camera.I like the way the Pentax feels, but I like the processor and IS lens on the XT.Decisions, decisions, decisions.-Allan
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:44 AM   #5

wish i could afford IS lenses..
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:48 AM   #6

Haha, yeah. Me too. Maybe in a few years
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:22 AM   #7

IS lens start at about $400. I've read taht the 28-135 IS for $400 is a darned good walk-around lens. That would be my first lens.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 1:17 AM   #8
KSV

I have asked this question numerous of time - who ever need 28 or even 135 IS lens? IS does not make lens optically better because put extra elements insideand IMHO should be used only as last resort in attempt to capture something with long lens (>300) hand held. Canons 300/2.8 IS is great, but money is great also :-) Whats about 135, I would rather buy fast prime (f.e. 135/2.8 )cost cheaper and produce better result indeed.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:21 AM   #9

From the following page: http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/28zooms/ "The 28-135 is clearly the winner from an optical and functional viewpoint. Optically it's as good as or slightly better than the 28-105, plus it has an extra 30mm of reach. The IS function really works and allows you to handhold at 1/8s at 28mm, whereas without IS you might need 1/30s for sharp images. If you're stuck without a tripod this could be the difference between getting a shot and losing it. The downside of the lens is its extra cost (about $200 more than the 28-105) and its significantly increased size and weight, as well as the need for a larger (and more expensive) filter (72mm vs. 58mm). If size weight and cost aren't an issue, it's the better lens. I got this lens in a deal where I bought a camera and this lens came with it. I had intended to sell the lens, but after using it for a while I'm quite reluctant to part with it! The IS feature is really nice..."Lots more on the review page. Worth a look.-Allan
Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:11 AM   #10
KSV

I have Pentax, so I have not try (and probably never will) Canon's IS and therefore there is little interest to me read your references. But I have FZ10 with IS and I find out that IS only useful for long tele. Even if you can stop your handshaking and shoot at 1/8 (I can do it with FZ10 - no problem), you still can not stop your subject by engage IS. And for any still subjects tripod is heaps better anyway. IMHO. :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote