Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:58 PM   #1
igo

I just bought Adobe Elements so I can edit DS RAW files. The package says it edits RAW files but when I try to put it into practice, I get error messages stating that my RAW files are damaged or unrecognized. Does anybody know what this is about or how to open pentax RAW files in Adobe Elements?
igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:12 PM   #2

pentax raw files are not the same as *.RAW files - you will need to get a plugin for photoshop to import them. I think it is called cameraRaw or something along those lines.. I havent tested importing pentax raw files into photoshop personally though.

A quick search through this forum will find the answer for you
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:16 PM   #3

igo,

i don't know, but try d/l adobe's dng converter. convert the files to dng and see if that helps. you can also embed the original pef in the dng file. i do not know if this will work except with PSCS. but i'd like too..
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:21 AM   #4
igo

I used to use MS Picture It for digital editing until I found MS Digital Image Pro 10. I just bought Photoshop Elements so I could work with RAW files. This is the first time I've used Adobe imaging software. I then had to hunt down the plug-in. The results? Plugin adds a lengthy extra step (at least it handles the Pentax RAW files) and Adobe is slower than a snail to work with and has to much clutter around the workspace making for some very narrow image windows. I just hope MS will soon bring in the Pentax RAW file data.

One thing I don't like about this camera is shooting gold colors. Shooting Canyons or bright sunsets in jpeg brite just over amplifies the colors hugely. I wish I could set the camera for normal instead of brite in automatic mode.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:57 AM   #5

Ive used photoshop for 8 years, right down since PS4, and i find no other program that matches its capabilities. *especially* m$ software.

Ill go download the pentax PEF plugin (which i think i did already, last reformat) and ill see how I go with it and ill put some instructions up.

Mind you, I am using PhotoshopCS - ive used elements previously, and yes, its horrible - not really suited for this kind of thing
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:14 PM   #6

igo wrote:
Quote:
I wish I could set the camera for normal instead of brite in automatic mode.
Hi

I may be mistaken, but I believe you can use normal instead of bright in any mode except the "green" automatic one.
Steve_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:18 PM   #7

you can also set the saturation level in ''menu''
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:13 PM   #8
igo

Yep. That's what I mean. On the fly I shoot automatic but it's not the best way to shoot in evening sun in the desert that's for sure. LOL. Makes for some pretty brilliant sunsets to say the least.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:17 PM   #9
igo

Maybe it's just "Elements" then and not CSbut you've seen my stuff, all has gone through Digital Image.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:21 AM   #10

Isnt all the camera settings ignored for shooting RAW anyway?