Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:24 PM   #1

Thinking of buying an istDS to replace my current Nikon F801. I've no particular need to stay with Nikon and I'm attracted to the Pentax because of its viewfinder brightness and ability to take standard batteries.

On my F810 changing between matrix and centre weighted is as simple as pressing a button. It seems that on the Pentax there is no dedicated button and metering method is changed by a menu option well down the list.

Am I right with this assumption? Is it a big issue or something that is in oractice easy to change?

I also read in a review of the D70 that you lose all your custom settings when you select one of the scene modes. Is this also the same with the Pentax? Can you have the camera set up as you want in e.g. shutter priority, go to a scene mode and then come back to shutter priority and have your custom settings back?

Many thanks

Dave
dollyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:34 PM   #2

Hallo there Dave. There is no dedicated button for changing metering on the Ds. It's very easy to go thru the menu and change that setting - no problem. As far as I know, you don't loose any of your custom settings (WB, ISO, sharpness, etc.) when you move from one mode to another. Continuous AF is only available in action mode though.

Good luck on your purchase. I'm sure you'll love the Ds.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:46 PM   #3

I find changing any setting on the Ds to be very easy and quick to do.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:54 AM   #4

all the differnt modes can be set up in manual except action mode. i have never used any of them, ever. next time i go to a dog meet i may try the action mode but i've had great results w/out it so far.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:17 AM   #5

Oh, just reread your post. Your custom settings will stay on for every mode except the automatic one - AUTO - as far as i know. Switching between them all will not set the custom settings back to defaults.
The only modes i ever use is Av,Tv, M and when i need to get proper exposure every time(and when i use the flash) i use the P mode. Dont touch any of the others.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:48 PM   #6

If you want a DS you better get one quick as it is being replaces by the DL when the current stock is gone.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:04 AM   #7
igo

Are you sure? Why would they replace the DS with a lesser camera?
igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:58 PM   #8

In terms of consumer desirability, I'd say the DS doesn't place. This is good; the price has dropped precipitously. I paid $625 TOTAL- With the release of an 8MP cheapie, I'm thinking there's no need to hurry.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote