Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:30 AM   #1

Hello,

I'd like to get a new lens to replace the kit lens that comes with the Pentax *ist DS as it doesn't really have a huge amount of reach, stopping at only 55mm.

I've looked around and my two choices seem to be the Sigma 18-125mm or the Sigma 24-135mm.

Does anybody own either of these lenses? What's the quality like compared to the Pentax 18-55mm?

Of the two lenses mentioned above, I'd rather go for the 18-125mm as I'd like to keep the 28mm equivalent wide angle. Unless the quality of the 24-135mm is miles better of course, in which case I'd probably go for that

Any opinions on these lenses (or suggestions of lenses I haven't mentioned) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Edward

http://photos.edgladwin.com/
ejgladwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:24 PM   #2

I have the Pentax FA 28-105 and it works really well as a walk around lens(f/3.2 at it's widest). You might take a look at this also.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:01 AM   #3

I use a the Sigma 18-125 zoom as my standard lens, With the digital 1.5 focal length factor it provides a very good allrounder.

I also use a tamrom 80-210 for longer work but the Sigma is lighter and easier to hand hold. The longer lens is more susceptible to movement.

Most of the kart shots taken on this site were with the Sigma

[img]file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]http://phil-northeast.fotopic.net
Attached Images

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:06 AM   #4

Thanks very much for both replies. I'll check out the 28-105mm, although 28mm on my *ist DS isn't really that wide. I'm not sure how often I'd need to go very wide on a general walkabout lens, but I'd like to be able to go "fairly wide" and "fairly long" to cover most situations as they arise.

Thanks for the links to the 18-125mm pics, it's always good to be able to see actual photos When you hear people say "this lens is sharp" or "this lens is really soft", it all depends on what is sharp or soft to that person

Thanks again!

Edward

Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:44 AM   #5

Edward,

I have the Sigma 24-135 and it's a gem although it's a big and heavy lens.

As well as finding that 24mm (36mm equiv) is wide enough, I'm also covering the options if larger sensors do appear in future !

The fast max aperture is also useful. Although the zoom ring is quite still (as some reviews have identified) it's a much more solid and reasurring than the cheaper feeling 18-125.

Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:15 AM   #6

The good thing about never having experienced the more expensive pro lenses, is that when a lens feels cheap, I don't know any better, so it won't feel too bad to me

If I had the money I'd probably go for the 24-135 and add a dedicated lens for wide angle (like the 12-24 Sigma, although I'd rather wait and see if that Pentax 12-24 is actually going to find its way into the shops!)

I'll have to check prices for both lenses and see if I can find some shops where I can test them out.

All I really need is for someone to come out with a high quality, 12-500mm f/2.8 lens, with no distortions throughout the zoom range For £250 I'm sure something like that will be in the shops really soon!!!

Thanks for the help.

Edward

Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:46 AM   #7

Edward - I don't think there's much to choose between the 24-135 and the 18-125 in price terms in the UK.

Generally, you'll just beat £200 for the 18 - 125 and just over for the 24 - 135.

At Camera World in London (just off Oxford Street) where I got mine, the prices are identical (nice people too).

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/lenses.asp

regards

Terry
Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:23 AM   #8

philneast wrote:
Quote:
I use a the Sigma 18-125 zoom as my standard lens, With the digital 1.5 focal length factor it provides a very good allrounder.
I love the weight of the *istDS with the Sigma 18-125 lens yet I'm becoming increasingly annoyed at the severe pincushion this lens produces, especially at zoom levels.
Does anyone else find this lens irritating in this way too?
sledger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 1:29 PM   #9

What's the distortion like on the 18-125mm at full wide angle?

Still haven't decided what to get yet, but there's a 24-135mm Tamron lens on eBay that I might get, if the bidding stays low!!

Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:07 PM   #10

Full zoom or wide angle, this lens stil has too much pincushion/barreling for my liking and definately put's it in the *cheap entry level* category.
Below are two images taken form the same stand-point, hand held, no flash. You can see the pincushion effect easily especially on the left side of the photo's where there are straight lines [or should I say where there SHOULD be straight lines] You'll also notice how the floor drops away to the left and the ceiling rises to the left. As I say, it's annoying..

sledger is offline   Reply With Quote