Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:15 PM   #1

I justbought an istDS last weekend and have spent every waking moment since playing with it and researching it's capabilities. (I'm on vacation this week). What a fantastic piece of equipment!

Here is a photothat I thought you might find interesting.It is not all that great artistically but it was created in camera as a self competency test of the camera's manual settings. I used PhotoShop only to crop it, perform a slight levels adjustment, and resize it for posting.

This is a single exposure of my son punching himself: at IS0200, f/11 for 20 seconds, focused at infinity at about 20mm on the 18-55mm lens. It was dark enough outside that an "old" guy like me would not have been able to read by the available light (but my ten year old daughter would!). I placed the camera ona porch rail, used the 2sec timer to lock the mirror up, and had him be the punch-er for a count of 8, I covered the lens with a piece of paper for a count of 4, and had him be the punch-ee for another count of 8.

I think that this is a good self-test for figuring out how to use the major manual features of a camera all together (ISO, f-stop, shutter speed, focus, and manual metering). I have done something like this with my Oly3030Z, 5050Z, and now the Pentax. This one came out the best.

Attached Images

awjweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:41 PM   #2
igo

How fun. I'll have to try that.
igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 2:24 AM   #3

Great! I was actually thinking of doing something like this but I lack a willing subject. Good thing no cars were passing by your street.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 9:37 PM   #4

Nice job but i thought the camera was capable of double exposure - that is taking 2 shots.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:37 PM   #5

nlp239,

As far as I know there is no true mutiple exposure capability on the istDS or any other DSLR. If you know of a way please let me know.

Tony
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:26 AM   #6

I thought I was going crazy for a second. In the istD manual it's on page 88, multiple Exposure Shooting.

I've not tried it out but I knew it was there.

Jaycee
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:51 PM   #7

Jaycee,

Yep you are right! The *ist D does have this capability. I have the *ist DS so I had to do it the old-fashioned way with a single exposure. Thanks for the tip. I had no idea any DSLR could do this.

Tony