Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:34 AM   #1

Does anyone know where I can get a Ref-converter A for the istD? I've seen one for for $200 but that don't sound right - does it?

Thanks
Jaycee
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:12 PM   #2

jaycee,

what are you talking about??????? hate to sound ignorant but i've NO idea what you're talking about...
Old Jul 25, 2005, 3:27 PM   #3

It's basically a right-angle attachment for the viewfinder. This makes low-level shots (like macro) a lot easier to compose, unless you don't mind having your face in the dirt .. lol

From memory, I recall at least 3 different types made by Pentax. The ealier one's only correct up/down, but you view lef/right reversed. The later "Refconverter K" produces a fully-corrected view, just as if your eye was at the viewfinder. The "M" and "A" versions are similar, but made to fit the eyepieces on the M/A (and currect ist D*) series. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the "K" eyepiece is slightly narrower (about 1mm), and thus won't fit on the current cameras (unless you just file the catch flange down a bit). Also consider that you can modify your "M" viewfinder cap (like the one that comes with the ist DS) and use two screw holes to attach to the older style.

These refconverters go for btwn $20-35 on eBay. FYI hope this helps!
zerotonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:56 PM   #4

Zerotonine,

Thanks for the info although it is a little confusing for me. You've seen them on ebay? I've been looking there but the only thing I've seen are the 645(?). What's your search criteria.

Yes it's a right-angle attachment to the view finder and when I had used them in the past it was for ceilings and stained-glass, etc.

Thanks for the help - would appreciate further details if you have them.

Jaycee

Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:45 PM   #5

Jaycee,

Sorry for any confusion. What I was trying to say was that you will need the "M" refconverter to use with a DS, unless you're willing to file down the tabs on the older "K" model (like I did).

They're always on eBay, but rarely called "Refconverter". Try using "pentax right angle" and you will get some hits. Like I said, I found a great deal, about $30 if I remember correctly. The Later "K", "M" & "A" are MUCH better than the one's made for the spotmatics! Hope this helps!
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:05 AM   #6

Thanks 029 - it has cleared the webs. I used your search criteria and finally came-up with a couple. Funny it never used to look that big but that's probably because it was for the Spotmatic.

Just to make sure I understand your terminology; by "tabs" do you mean the area that goes into the slits on the eyepiece??

What would you, or anyone with experience, say about using right-angle viewers manufactured for other cameras? i.e. Canon.

Thank you again for taking time to reply.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:10 PM   #7

That's right Jaycee. The only difference that I found was the width between the slits on the eyepiece. The old Spotmatics and K-series (KX, K2, K1000, KM) are slightly narrower than the later M (MX, ME, etc) and all the way up to the D/DS series. In fact, if you look at the plasticeyepice cover for your D/DS, it is exactly the same as the one you would have received with an ME in 1976! (Isn't Pentax nice to us?!)

What I was saying b4 was that you could take this plastic eyepiece cover and cut out the opening and drill two screw holes which will then let you mount it on an older refconverter (with just two screws - but there's no weight on it). This would be another option if you got a good deal on an older refconverter and are handy.

FYI, I have one of the Spotmatic style one's for sale. PM if interested. Good luck!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:00 PM   #8

I've PM'ed you and since I got no reply I've purchased one off the net. Thanks anyways.

Hope you're OK.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:00 PM   #9

I am so going to have to look for one of these - I bought a cheap kids periscope i was about to start to make one myself!!
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote