Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:54 PM   #11

Code:
The adapter that you have, with its 1 mm flange, does not allow any lens to focus to infinity. I'm being kind when I say that they are worthless, unless you know how to disable the infinity focus stop on your lens so that it will go beyond its normal point. I have two of these, and was able to modify one old, cheap 400 mm preset lens to work alright, but the index mark is still shy of the 12 o'clock position.
YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR! I parted that .9mm flange (not recommended) and it now focuses to infinity!!!!! I wouldn't've believed it if I hadn't've seen it.
Yes, I'm waiting for the correct "B" adapter, which is still on back order.

Thanks Again!
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:27 AM   #12

Panzergnome wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again for all the replies.

The adaptor and lens I have is a T42.

I ordered a Pentax Mount adaptor "B" from Andorma, but it's on back-order everywhere.

I'll let you know what happens when (IF) I get it.

EDIT: YOUR AVATAR LOOKS TOTALLY CREEPY

If your lens is a T-mount with a T42 adapter attached, then another option is to simply replace it with a T-PK adapter and it will function as a normal bayonette mount K lens. B&H sells them used for $10, new for $14. Only new ones in stock right now:

http://tinyurl.com/dr5yk

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:50 AM   #13

Well, see there's the problem. The thickness of that adapter

Makes it a macro. With that thickness it wouldn't focus to with in ~7ft. The one I have, before I parted the flange, which was only a fraction of that, and it still didn't work (~15ft).

Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:28 AM   #14

If the lens is truly a T-mount, i.e., designed to be used with a T-mount adapter, then it will work properly; the lens needs to have a standard Tamron T thread on the rear.

If it's a Pentax M42 screw mount lens, then it won't properly screw into the adapter, but it may go in part of the way and bind. Are the M42 threads machined directly on the rear of the lens? If so, then that is NOT a T-mount lens and you need the pentax adapter. If they're machined into a ring that looks like the T-mount adapter in your picture, then simply remove that (it just screws off)and replace it with the T-PK adapter, or use it along with the Pentax adapter. Either the lens is not a T-mount, or you are trying to use with two adapters attached.

If this isn't clear, I'll try to post some pics of T threads and the M42 T-mount later this evening.

Hope this helps, Lou
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:39 PM   #15

derbunk, Iwas using the wrong terms. Whatever it is or isn't, the only problem I WAS having is the lens distance from the CCD.

It is solved, albeit by jury-rig. The threads for both the adapter and lens are absolutely correct for each other.

It will be 'more' solved when I get the Pentax adaptor you mentioned.

Thanks for trying to straighten out my confusing terminology. I incorrectly assumed tmount and M-42 were synonymous.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:36 AM   #16

Ahh, that's what had me confused. The M42 is sometimes called the Pentax screw mount or universal screw mount. The T-mount was developed by Tamron so that one lens could be used on many different brands of camera.

You've got the right adapter for the task at hand. There are a lot of quality M42 lenses around that can be had cheaply and work great on the Ds.

Lou