Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:41 AM   #1

Thanks for answering my last few questions!

First, I have a new (used) lens 50mm 1.4f Pentax. It seems to work fine at portrait distances, but won't focus to infinity. I had the same problem, but more pronounced, with a same/similar used lens at a local camera shop. We used a T42 to bayonet adapter and it would only focus very near. Their adapter was quite deep. (I think in affect it was what is called an extension tube) My adapter extends the lens only about 1mm. And the lens isn't a macro, it doesn't focus near any much beter than my f1:2.

Second, are there tests on high speed SD cards (like the Ultra II)?Are theyworth the extra $20 on the DS?

Last, how do I get EXIF data? Nothing in the manual about it.

Thanks, as always!
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:07 PM   #2

i don't know about the focus prob unless there is a limiter switch on the lens.

d/l irfanview, http://www.irfanview.com/, and goto >image>information>exif
to view the info.

also this is a great program to give you instant access to the exif info for online pix
thu a rt. click. rt. on the image and you will get an option the view exif info
http://ak.no-ip.com/EXIF/

hope this helps.

roy
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:09 PM   #3

and the info.

Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:45 PM   #4

The adapter that you have, with its 1 mm flange, does not allow any lens to focus to infinity. I'm being kind when I say that they are worthless, unless you know how to disable the infinity focus stop on your lens so that it will go beyond its normal point. I have two of these, and was able to modify one old, cheap 400 mm preset lens to work alright, but the index mark is still shy of the 12 o'clock position.

The genuine Asahi Pentax adapters mount flush with the camera's mount, so there is not this problem with them. The Kalt adapters also work properly, but are harder to install and remove and come with a dedicated wrench to assist with this.

Hope this helps, Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:54 PM   #5

derbunk wrote:
Quote:
The adapter that you have, with its 1 mm flange, does not allow any lens to focus to infinity. I'm being kind when I say that they are worthless, unless you know how to disable the infinity focus stop on your lens so that it will go beyond its normal point. I have two of these, and was able to modify one old, cheap 400 mm preset lens to work alright, but the index mark is still shy of the 12 o'clock position.

The genuine Asahi Pentax adapters mount flush with the camera's mount, so there is not this problem with them. The Kalt adapters also work properly, but are harder to install and remove and come with a dedicated wrench to assist with this.

Hope this helps, Lou
derbunk,
do you have a link to somewhere for this info????
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:19 PM   #6

robar, here's a quick ebaysearch:

http://search.ebay.com/pentax-screw-..*****ew*Q20adapt*

Just look at the M42 to k mount adapters. For info on the flanged adapters, click here and do a *****h for "M42 adapter":

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1036

Lou

edit:If the ebay search comes up with no items, simply type an * after the word "adapt" in the search field and click the "Search" button again to bring up about 40 hits.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:46 AM   #7

Thanks for the quick answers!!

OK, so if I'm understanding you, that 1 mm (Actually .9mm!) moves the lens too far away from the CCD to alow it to focus?

This adapter, the factoryMount Adapter B , will move it close enough to focus to infinity?

It appears that the flange it is resting on fits below the mount surface so the lens would actually butt against the camera. True?

And any performance difference on the SD cards?

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:39 AM   #8

Panzergnome wrote:
Quote:
OK, so if I'm understanding you, that 1 mm (Actually .9mm!) moves the lens too far away from the CCD to alow it to focus?
Quote:
Correct. You wouldn't think that it would matter that much, but it does.
Quote:

This adapter, the factoryMount Adapter B , will move it close enough to focus to infinity?

It appears that the flange it is resting on fits below the mount surface so the lens would actually butt against the camera. True?
Quote:
Correct again.
Quote:

And any performance difference on the SD cards?
Quote:

I've read that the 80x cards are noticably faster recording the images than the standard cards.

Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:13 PM   #9

Just as a thought, you may have been using a 42mm T-mount adapter. These stick out past themount about 1/2" and are made to inf focus only with T-mount lenses. You may have been able to (partially) screw in your "Pentax" screw mount lens, but it will jam at some point as the thread pitch is different.

If you get one of the flush-fit M42 adapters, you should have no more problems, and in fact you can permanently leave it on the lens if you take off the little tab. This makes your lens a K-mount manual & a lot handier to actually use, imho.
zerotonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:54 PM   #10

Thanks again for all the replies.

The adaptor and lens I have is a T42.

I ordered a Pentax Mount adaptor "B" from Andorma, but it's on back-order everywhere.

I'll let you know what happens when (IF) I get it.

EDIT: YOUR AVATAR LOOKS TOTALLY CREEPY