Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:06 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I'm new to the Pentax dslr forum. Have been over at the Panasonic one for about a year, and made the switch last week to an istDS. What a nice camera to use. The advantages for shooting with a dslr compared to a digicam are many. Love the viewfinder, and having a simple wheel to adjust aperture and shutter is such a treat to use.Thought I'd post a couple of pics from my first walkabout with the new beast. I bought the kit lens, and a cheap Sigma 300mm to get me started. Thought I'd better learn the ins and outs before going all out with expensive lenses. I have a couple of questions. I used the "bright" setting for these first shots, and they seem quite saturated and punchy. I guess the natural setting from what I've read is more subtle, so I was wondering what most peoples consensus was for this setting. Also, I am using AdobeRGB instead of sRGB and was wondering what others think of the 2 choices. Any thought you have would be welcome. Anyway, here's a couple of shots I took first time out. Both are in Av mode. The first is a cedar waxwing. I shot this with the Sigma at full zoom and cropped it in ps. ISO was 800 to get a fast shutter, and was handheld. Must start using a tripod or monopod. No OIS with this lens.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:11 PM   #2

2- Anyone recognize this place? I always wondered where megapixel.net shot this picture as I live in the same area that those fellows do. Then I discovered it one day on a trip to the local wildlife conservation park. Hope I'm not infringing on their rights. Lol. This was shot with the kit lens at 18mm. Some barrel distortion, but it seems quite clear...........................Cheers............ .. thekman.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:41 AM   #3

I use the Bright and Adobe RGB settings.

The Adobe is supposed to give more colour detail.

The bright could allways be adjusted after I have not changed from the default setting.

I am not sure how serious you wwere about your photographic right s question but generally in Australian law, which similairly to Candian law has roots in English common law, you can photograph whatever you like as there is no tort of privacy.

Commercial use for editorial purposes is generally open slather, restricted mainly by questions of images that may affect the court process.

The main restriction on use is when the image may be used for some form of advertising purpose the permission is usually required from the subject or owners of an object.

Great camera though.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote