Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2005, 1:55 PM   #11

if it's not a ttl flash then you have to set the aperture correctly using the flash guide number..
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:29 AM   #12

Hi Dave

I just found this site - because I was looking to see if anybody else was experiencing the problems that I have had with my ist DS.

I have made a significant investment in Pentax equipment and lens over the years andhave NEVER had any problems. Unfortunately that has not been the case with my ist DS.

I purchased it in December - it failed in January - it would not function in Auto Focus mode - would not even allow the shutter release button to be depressed. Sent it back to Colorado and it was repaired. Now I am in the process of packing it up and sending it back again - because it is doing fundamentally the same thing - no Auto Focus - however this time I can release the shutter -- miserable pictures though. It works well in Manual mode - however -- there are times when Auto Focus is indispensible.

What I have found interesting in all your comments is that you have received a replacement body. I am now pleading that case. I purchased mine from B&H Photo - which is very reputable. However they have a policy thatrequires sending it back to the manufacturer.

I am hoping that Pentax lives up to my expectations and their reputation and I receive a new body to replace the Lemon I apparently purchased.

Having said all this -- when it is working - it is a fantastic camera!

If anybody else has any thoughts or information - I would greatly appreciate the feed back

Alethea

metoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:39 AM   #13

My first istDs was faulty - very wierd problem.

All pictures would come out fine, no exposure problems. But - in any of the modes, the LCD panel would just display random icons and garble instead of apeture and shutter information - but the funny thing is- that exact same garble would appear exactly the same on the LCD inside the viewfinder!

The shop replaced it on the spot. Since then my only problem is my dirty sensor which i am hopefully getting cleaned tomorow
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:49 PM   #14

Mine works quite well but it is true that at times when shooting some outdoor shots, it has had some surprising underexposure problems that I would not have expected. However, it is a small matter to set the histogram function on which always lets you know right away whether the photo is underexposed.
Bodryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:22 PM   #15

Having the same problem with the garbled messages - Mine died [img]images/emoticons/demon3.gif[/img]after just 3 weeks, screen turns green and the LCD on top reports 999 shots available. Seems to not be able to read the SD - though it can be read jsut fine on my computer. Took it to the Warranty shop, they took a quick look and sent it off to Pentax. Shop that I bought it at is just foing to replace it with another and fight it out with Pentax themselves[img]images/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]. Prior tp it dying I was very pleased with the quality of the shots.
g.greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:30 AM   #16

I have two Ds.┬* Ds┬*2┬* had a weird battery problem. After removing a depleted battery it will not boot up with a fresh battery. The only way is to put the switch to the┬* on position, then close the battery hatch and it booted up fine.┬*I've even put the depleted battery in Ds 1, it would boot but after the indictor will show low batterry and then it would shut off, when you put new battery it boots fine. Now when you take the same battery and again put it in the Ds 2 it would do the same thing and then fresh battery from the other Ds 1 will not boot. unless you do the hard boot. The faulty unit even had the newer firmware, after updating the functioning┬* Ds 1 with the newer firmware it did not behave any different.┬*┬*It was a repeatable fault after the battery died. I kept the camera for┬* nearly a month taking around 700 photos. Anyway I exchange it┬* and the new unit has worked fine. Just one other time I was shooting in the lab full of florescent light┬* changing different ┬*white balance then one shot comes out red. Never happened again, althought under florescent the DS exibits┬*minor┬*color changes . I have a point and shoot Sony that was tested it at same┬* time┬*and it WB was better. In these case I use manual WB. Or┬* shoot raw and adjust it later.I have drop both camera, one in a pelican case┬* about 4 feet and the other about the same height on asphalt. Both are still working. One has 2000+ shots. Two has around 5500 . Unit one also has been down to 10 degree fahrenheit with no problem. Battery lasted 3 hours on a panasonic 1600 mah Ni-MH which surprised me.
Thinsections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:53 AM   #17

i was taking alot of shots on continuous shooting mode one day when suddenly it ceased to function. none of the functions worked and it stopped taking light readings or focusing.

the orange light stayed on - for about 2 hours.

i got it to function again by taking out the batteries and putting them in again.
however, this left me with a nasty taste in my mouth as i missed several shots i wanted [shooting a celeb..] - will my camera be reliable next time?

i've had the camera for many months now - and while i'm generally pleased with it, i'm looking to trade up for a more sports-oriented, and larger format, camera sometime in the future.

a few shots are here:
http://mkmkmk.deviantart.com/gallery/
zoik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 3:06 PM   #18

I've had at least 2 problems with my Ist DS since first purchased. I bought from local Authorized dealer in Denver and first body wouldn't even fire shutter when first switched ON when I got it home. The LCD showed a weird error code. The shop had to order anotherbody from their main shop to send down before they could replace the body as all they had was the kit in stock. I had bought body only. Next, on my first trip to Europe a month later I noticed nearly 50% of my shots were coming out really blocky colors on gradual tone changes like wood surfaces, faces and people's body skin. It was like a very overly jpg compressed image result - kinda 256 color pallete on skin tones orif you can visualize a low spec PC display driver result. Test shots in RAW still showed exactly same bad image so it def wasn't post processing jpeg problem in camera. I thought itmaybe a problem with low battery voltage of my Nimh AAs so replace with lithium AAs but same issue still showed up. The strange thing is, this blotchy image was intermittant. One day pictures are perfect and then next day or maybe a series of pics later theycome out all blotchy again. I took back to dealer and they said it needs to goto Pentax HQ in Golden as it was past the 30 day policy. Waited 4 weeks for repair. Pentax just noted they stripped down and cleaned all the internals and didn't state they found anything wrong in particular. I can see they def stripped it down as the service screws have been touched. Also there seems to be a few spots of dirt on the focusing screen when viewing thru viewfinder, which I never noticed before (great cleaning job Pentax!). Anyway, good news is the repair seems to have fixed the issue...for now. I'm guessing it was a dry joint or dry connector on the circuit boards as it def was intermittant problem before. I've had 2 film Pentax SLRs since early 80's...ME Super and MZ-5. Both Made in Japan and both pretty reliable. I was slightly worried when I first saw Assembled in Philiphines on the Ist DS body. There is def a quality control problem here. I guess Philiphine assembly keeps cost/price down...but also keeps quality sub par as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame Pentax, but you might just lose my future loyalty when I'm in the market for my future DSLR upgrade, especially if my ist DS continues to show problems...Canon or Nikon here I come!
oxford_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:16 PM   #19

Bought a DS in Feb from Canada and been very pleased with it. In August on holday in Wales was taking a shot with the internal flash - huge bang (explosion) and then the flash wouldn't work and while it is up I cannot take any shots. Closing the flash has allowed the camera to work in all other modes (but no flash).

Have e-mailed Pentax UK about 8 times now asking about repair and warranty etc. BUT have not had one single reply (not even an acknowledgement). Anyone know if this is usual with Pentax UK ????

Any ideas where I go from here ?

Cheers and thanks.

Steve J. McWilliam

SteveMcBil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:26 PM   #20

SteveMcBil wrote:
Quote:
Bought a DS in Feb from Canada and been very pleased with it. In August on holday in Wales was taking a shot with the internal flash - huge bang (explosion) and then the flash wouldn't work and while it is up I cannot take any shots. Closing the flash has allowed the camera to work in all other modes (but no flash).

Have e-mailed Pentax UK about 8 times now asking about repair and warranty etc. BUT have not had one single reply (not even an acknowledgement). Anyone know if this is usual with Pentax UK ????

Any ideas where I go from here ?

Cheers and thanks.

Steve J. McWilliam

steve, email is the pits. i always call and talk to them and the repair center. i had a spot on the sensor that drove me crazy and i sent it in on monday by mail, had it back friday, problem solved. nothing wrong w/the cam tho.. it's preformed flawlessly since last march..
Quote:
roy