Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:27 AM   #21

My camera has been sent back with an 'over -exposure' problem. It's an intermittent problem so I'm not hopeful it will be sorted out first time. It seems to happen when the camera is beingused quite a lot continuosly rather than just the odd shot here and there.

Anyone else had this problem and what was the fix?

Regards

Chased the repair yesterday and Pentax UK said it had been sent to Pentax in Europe - sounds serious!!!

foxy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:53 PM   #22

I have a istDL, Only problem with it, is I cant find a Plug in for My Adobe CS2, and the photo program from pentax isnt all that great. Having to convert the photo to a Tiff before using it in CS2 kind of defeats the perpose of shooting in raw. I like to be able to adjust the white balance if I need to, once it is in Tiff format, you can no longer adjust white balance. Other then I love the camera Got this photo a couple weeks ago.

If i had known about plugin problem, would have got the DS
Attached Images

MikieP67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:00 PM   #23

As an update to my ongoing problems with my ist Ds. As mentioned already first body refused to work at all as shutter never fired once. Shop immediately replaced first body for second body...this showed intermittant blotchy image capture. Sent to Pentax HQ for repair. After that it worked for a few months and now there's a problem with the built in pop up flash. In low light situations when the camera finds it hard to auto focus the flash prematurely fires and makes a horrible buzzing noise as you press the shutter release half way down. It only does this condition in AF-S mode in low light when it can't lock on focus as I said. If you switch to any mode where you set focus mode to AF-C (continous) as in sport mode and/or you set AF mode to AF-C in non picture modes (Av,Tv,P,M or B modes) then the problem never shows. However,any mode with AF-S forauto focus and the flash exhibitsthis obvious fault.When it does fire prematurely the flash seems to arc longer thanthe nice clean quick burst when a shot is acturely captured correctly with flash. It seems like the thyristor circuit is on the threshold of the trigger condition and is prematurely or partially firing the stored charge through the flash bulb. It buzzess and arc flashes for about 1/2 second (noticeably longer than the proper short burst expected). No image is actually captured when the flash arcs prematurely.

Anyone expereinced this same fault? You can test for it by popping up flash in any mode with AF-S set and leaving the lens cap on or holding your hand close to the lens front in low light conditions while pressing the shutter half way to hunt the focus unsuccessfully. The focus gives up successful lock and the flash buzzes and arcs horribly.

That's probably the last straw for me Pentax. I have had more problems with this ist DS in less than 1 year than all my other Pentax equipment prior for 25 years. Nikon or Canon here I come. Pentax quality is dead as far I'm concerend. Shame really.
msymons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:26 PM   #24

msymons wrote:
Quote:
now there's a problem with the built in pop up flash. In low light situations when the camera finds it hard to auto focus the flash prematurely fires and makes a horrible buzzing noise as you press the shutter release half way down. It only does this condition in AF-S mode in low light when it can't lock on focus as I said. If you switch to any mode where you set focus mode to AF-C (continous) as in sport mode and/or you set AF mode to AF-C in non picture modes (Av,Tv,P,M or B modes) then the problem never shows. However,any mode with AF-S forauto focus and the flash exhibitsthis obvious fault.When it does fire prematurely the flash seems to arc longer thanthe nice clean quick burst when a shot is acturely captured correctly with flash. It seems like the thyristor circuit is on the threshold of the trigger condition and is prematurely or partially firing the stored charge through the flash bulb. It buzzess and arc flashes for about 1/2 second (noticeably longer than the proper short burst expected). No image is actually captured when the flash arcs prematurely.

Anyone expereinced this same fault?
I don't use the pop-up-flash because it never gives me any usable pictures, but I have tried it a few times just to convince myself not to think about it as a flash. I've experienced what you describe, but I'm not sure it's a fault. It is a built in function to assist the auto-focus when the low light makes it hard for the AF sensor to work, just giving a little extra light whilst focussing. It's mentioned in the manual (p119 in my Swedish version) I think I've read that other cameras of other brands do the same. So read the manual before you send your camera back for repair.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:34 PM   #25

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
msymons wrote:
Quote:
now there's a problem with the built in pop up flash. In low light situations when the camera finds it hard to auto focus the flash prematurely fires and makes a horrible buzzing noise as you press the shutter release half way down. It only does this condition in AF-S mode in low light when it can't lock on focus as I said. If you switch to any mode where you set focus mode to AF-C (continous) as in sport mode and/or you set AF mode to AF-C in non picture modes (Av,Tv,P,M or B modes) then the problem never shows. However,any mode with AF-S forauto focus and the flash exhibitsthis obvious fault.When it does fire prematurely the flash seems to arc longer thanthe nice clean quick burst when a shot is acturely captured correctly with flash. It seems like the thyristor circuit is on the threshold of the trigger condition and is prematurely or partially firing the stored charge through the flash bulb. It buzzess and arc flashes for about 1/2 second (noticeably longer than the proper short burst expected). No image is actually captured when the flash arcs prematurely.

Anyone expereinced this same fault?
I don't use the pop-up-flash because it newer gives me any usable pictures, but I have tried it a few times just to convince myself not to think about it as a flash. I've experienced what you describe, but I'm not sure it's a fault. It is a built in function to assist the auto-focus when the low light makes it hard for the AF sensor to work, just giving a little extra light whilst focussing. It's mentioned in the manual (p119 in my Swedish version) I think I've read that other cameras of other brands do the same. So read the manual before you send your camera back for repair.

Kjell
This is NOT A FAULT - the flash firesunder dull lighting conditionsto illuminate the subject to provide additional lighting for the focus to function.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:58 PM   #26

Thanks for the update. I'll shake the dust off the manual and give it a read again...I have a FGZ360 flash which has the same AF lighting assist function described....but it doesn't make the awful noise the built in pop flash exhibits...soundslike the bulb is about to blow!Maybe I'm getting paranoid about the Pentax quality aftermy initial problems experienced...I'll hang in there for now & hold off on that new Nikon Thanks again.
msymons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:13 PM   #27

My *istDL and my old MZ-7 film camera both make a lot of noise as they do their focus assist thing, disconcerting but normal. I have heard the same sound from other SLRs (including a Nikon model) that used the flash as a focus assist. With the lens cap on the camera will try several times before it gives up trying to focus.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:59 PM   #28

msymons wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the update. I'll shake the dust off the manual and give it a read again...I have a FGZ360 flash which has the same AF lighting assist function described....but it doesn't make the awful noise the built in pop flash exhibits...soundslike the bulb is about to blow!Maybe I'm getting paranoid about the Pentax quality aftermy initial problems experienced...I'll hang in there for now & hold off on that new Nikon Thanks again.
The FGZ360 flash uses a different type of Autofocus assist system. It uses a red light that shine on the subject when you half press the shutter if the environment is too dark. Unlike the build-in flash, it is totally silent andnot as noticeable. Actually, I think the way the build-in flash rapid fire at low power to light up the subject is pretty cool, kind of intrusive though!

-BE

bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:23 PM   #29

:sad:My internal flash failed. It's in Colorado now, hope to have it back with a week or so.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:11 PM   #30

I just had this happen to mine too.

Did you have any luck with Pentax? I just sent mine off today. They told me an expensive repair as it's out of warranty.

justmenan is offline   Reply With Quote