Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:01 PM   #1

I am debating about which of these two lenses - the Pentax SMC-F 70-210mm or the newer Pentax DA 50-200mm - to use as a walk-around lens. Do any of you have experience with one or both of these lenses, and could you make some recommendations as to which you would recommend?

I have also been looking at a couple of Tokina Manual Focus lenses - 35-105mm and their 35-135mm. Both are rated highly.

Any feedback on any of these would be greatly appreciated!
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:40 AM   #2

I guess it depends on where you walk around!

I can tell you that when I got a chance to go to Europe, The WCON that made the camera an effective 26.6mm took the most pictures. If you're like me, and I know I am, :lol:I'm thinking of a Sigma 17-35.

Anyone have experience w/ this lens?

I use a 50mm prime to walk around w/ now that I have a heavy SLR, just because it's compact. The longer lenses are good when I *try* to shoot birds. Other wise, in the city I'd love the 17-35.

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 1:11 AM   #3

I don't have either lens but I personally, I would like to have a wider zoom (for city walkabouts). I myself use the Pentax SMC FA 28-105 and it stays on my camera 90% of the time.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:15 AM   #4

I have the same dilemma. Am wondering how wide and how long you can go in adecent quality lens.I likethe wide end of the kit lens at 18 but would prefer more reach than the 55mm. Would like to have around 18 to 135, but would probably be getting into problems with barrel distortion with that range of lens.Decisions, decisions.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:15 AM   #5

I have the same dilemma. Am wondering how wide and how long you can go in adecent quality lens.I likethe wide end of the kit lens at 18 but would prefer more reach than the 55mm. Would like to have around 18 to 135, but would probably be getting into problems with barrel distortion with that range of lens.Decisions, decisions.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:08 PM   #6

Someone (that doesn't get paid $ to advertise these in their magazine) tested a Sigma/Tamron18-200. See for yourself:

http://dcresource.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=18-200

There were some of newspaper(!) covered wall, with text crops from various places, but I can't find it.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:16 PM   #7
igo

I could never make up my mind about a "walk-around lens". I have a Low-pro day pack and it's always got several lenses in it and they always get swapped around.
igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 4:24 PM   #8

I tend to use primes, but if you are considering one of these MF 3rd party lens, take look at the Pentax A 35-105 f3.5

This is a superb zoom, sharp wide, contrasty, and good bokeh for a zoom. It's a bit heavy being metal and a large chunk of glass, but it is well balenced. You can find them very reasonably priced.

The DA 50-200 is pretty good for consumer zoom, also check the Sigma 55-200 DC. Optically on a par with the DA, not quite as well built IMO , but is considerably cheaper.

Rosco

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
I am debating about which of these two lenses - the Pentax SMC-F 70-210mm or the newer Pentax DA 50-200mm - to use as a walk-around lens. Do any of you have experience with one or both of these lenses, and could you make some recommendations as to which you would recommend?

I have also been looking at a couple of Tokina Manual Focus lenses - 35-105mm and their 35-135mm. Both are rated highly.

roscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:48 AM   #9

roscot wrote:
Quote:
I tend to use primes, but if you are considering one of these MF 3rd party lens, take look at the Pentax A 35-105 f3.5

This is a superb zoom, sharp wide, contrasty, and good bokeh for a zoom. It's a bit heavy being metal and a large chunk of glass, but it is well balenced. You can find them very reasonably priced.

The DA 50-200 is pretty good for consumer zoom, also check the Sigma 55-200 DC. Optically on a par with the DA, not quite as well built IMO , but is considerably cheaper.

Rosco

nznhut wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, everyone, for your input - very helpful! In particular, roscot, thanks for the specifics on the Pentax lens - one question about it, I noticed that it is a macro lens. I am also looking at one of these, and had pretty much settled on a Sigma 105mm Macro - great reviews. BUT, before I go that way, how does the Pentax A 35-105 perform in the macro area? Info greatly appreciated...
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:18 AM   #10

no zoom is gping to preform like dedicated macro. get the 105. you'll never be sorry..