Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:09 AM   #1

WOW!!! I can't believe what I have been missing!!!
Attached Images

cbehrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:14 AM   #2

I made the same switch- FZ20 to istDS. I've been pretty happy so far. Just need some better glass. Enjoy.....cheers.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:28 AM   #3

Congratulations! I bought the DS after a year or so of using an FZ10, and I'm very happy I made the change. I still use the FZ10 when a point and shoot makes sense, but the DS is really fun and the picture quality is unreal.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4

same here but i was using a fugi s7000. going back to a real viewfinder is well worth the extra $$$$$. and i still use the fuji too. i was going to sell it but the boss would not let me..
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:02 PM   #5

Went from UZI to DS. My brother has it. UZI more flexible and consistently puts out better pics, 2MP or not. Manual focus is simpler on the DS, but focusing screen on the UZI is better.

Part of this is the operator, but I find it hard to believe all of it.

I have all kind of UZI pics on my wall, but really haven't taken a DS pic thatwarranted print.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:42 PM   #6

panzer,

hard to believe what you just said. when i got the ist i actually went down from 6.3 to 6.1 mp. all i can say is that the fuji , fine cam as it is, can't come close to the detail resolution of the ist.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:05 PM   #7

It could be my lenses coupled with learning curve on the new camera. It could also have to do with the narrower DOF of a DLSR. The UZI and it's attachment lenses have a radical zoom range compared to a DSLR-in this respect, it's more flexible. It could also be I just expect too much.

It's just frustrating whenmy brother and I go out together (he knows nichts about photography) and his pics come out better than mine.

Many people that have come from the UZI appear to have the same complaint aboutwhatever camera they've bought to replace it.

I think this is the best picit took, I like the color:

Attached Images

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 8:52 AM   #8
daz

I spent about a minute on this photo. Just adjusted brightness and some USM. I know this is not perfect but just to show some of what is happening. On a DSLR these things are not accomplished by the camera but need to be part of what the photographer (in his/her digital darkroom AKA computer) has to do. This is so the photographer has control of what he/she gets and a DSLR is all about control. To control all the different elements of a photo you must have a good understanding of all these elements. This makes for a very steep leaning curve. By stepping up to a DSLR you are taking more control of your photos but if you don't take some control you will probably get very lackluster photos, as the camera usually will not do much that you don't tell it to do. That you have purchased a DSLR means that you want better photos, that is the most important part, the rest is just work. With some work I am sure you will get better. You may need to read some books (a good idea) or you may want to take some classis (a better idea) but you can get better.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote