Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:16 PM   #1

I recently got the DS and I noticed in the manual it says that, "Images taken using the ist DS that are for anyting other than personal enjoyment cannont be used without permission accoring to the rights as specified in the Copyright Act." What exactly does this mean, sounds kind of crazy if this means that you don't own the rights to the photos you take with this camera!?
BrandonBinoculars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:40 AM   #2

:?

BrandonB..

It does look rather confusing. This may vary from country to country but generally the basic principles of copyright law are similar to the Australian law.

Yes you do own the coyright of images you take with your camera, and generally no registration is needed, copyright is automatic.

The BUT is that other people also have automatic ownership of their own intellectual creations that include dramatic and artisitic works.

So if you take a picture of a work of art or a dramatic performance you may infringe the copyright of the creator of that work.

If your images are for editorial purposes they are usually exempt from the Act.

The sale or use of images in promotion or advertising also requires some form of release or agreement with at least the main subjects, but I am not sure about details as I studied media law specifically for journalists.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:26 PM   #3

I guess that was the basis of why a guy objected to my taking pictures of his art work at a street fair some years ago. It never occurred to me that I was doing anything wrong.

Another thing you don't want to do is take pictures of the merchandise in a London Drugs store in Canada. I found that out the hard way. Now I'm pretty reluctant to take pictures in any store.
Bodryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 9:43 PM   #4

Bodryn

you didn't give nay details of what the store staff objected to and what thier actions were but they may have been bluffing or even overstepping their legal entitlements..

The store displays would be proteced by copyright laws as thay are product of intellectual creation.

But any thing else is fair game. Assuming Canadian law is similar to Australia, and Britian tehn photographing the inside of a store is permissable and they have no legal right to stop you.

But a store is not a public place and you are able to enter only by invitation , usually implied. The owners are quite entitled to ask you to leave their store but that is the extent of their rights. Under Australian law you can still photos through a window, doorway or over a fence (Victoria Park case).

Under some circumstances photos taken while you trespass on property are useable (Lenah Game Meats).

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:11 AM   #5

The store was quite likely concerned thatyou were the agent of a competitor, doing price checks on their merchandise.

My son is a manager for a large retailer, and when he was lower on the pecking order, was often sent out to competing stores tolist what their prices were. And all of the stores will remove such a person if they catch him.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote