Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:00 AM   #1

I realize that this is not a new topic and I have read earlier postings so now I just want to summarize what I understand and anyone who can verify, please do so.

1)- Avoid P-series Ricoh lenses (these are for the Ricoh program cameras and have a letter P setting on the aperture ring similar to the A on the A-series Pentax). These lenses have a spring loaded electrical contact which can jam in the focus mechanism on the Pentax body.

2)- Avoid any third party lenses which were designed for the program Ricoh cameras specifically. (Personally I would avoid all of the "no-name" A or P labelled lenses, and I would check with companies like Sigma or Tamron before using their older lenses)

3)- Early, non-P-Series, Ricoh lenses (such as their excellent XR series glass) should work fine since they have no electrical contacts whatsoever, like all early K-mount. (my XR Rikenon 28mm f2.8 and 135mm f2.8 both work on my MZ-7 autofocus Pentax body with no problems whatsoever, except of course they don't autofocus, or auto aperture:lol. I assume that these will also work on the *istDS, please inform me if that is not the case.

4)- Pentax and Takumar K-mount lenses (original K-mount, M-series, A-series and all autofocus lenses) should work fine since the early series had no electrical contacts and the A-series were designed to the same general specs as the present AF lenses. Again, if there is any problem with this line of thinking, let me know.

5)- Simple T-mount lenses with no electrical contacts should work but Tamron T-mounts labelled P for Ricoh cameras may jam just like the Ricohs. I have a simple T-mount on a 500mm f8 mirror, it has no mechanical or electrical contact with the camera, other than actually mounting on the bayonet, so it should work..??

6)- Unless there is something unusual in their design, all 42mm screw mount lenses designed for older Pentax cameras should work, but they must have a switch which allows them to use manual aperture (not the pin drive automatic aperture only). Again, the purpose of this post is to clear up these issues for all "normal" lenses on the *istDx bodies, it does not try to cover any unuaual glass one might be considering. This category includes some very good Russian lenses whcih are available cheap (before anyone disputes the statement about Russian lenses being good remember I did not say they were all good, but some are quite interesting)

I am not going to get into the medium format Pentax lenses, they are generally only of interest to someone who already owns some, too expensive for the rest of us.

I know that the Canon EOS cameras can also be adapted to a large variety of lenses due to their huge lens mount opening and other mount dimensions but the joy of the Pentax is that it can use such a huge array of lenses without any adapter at all, and then a simple screw mount to K-mount adapter will do so many other lenses.

OK lets make sure these facts are straight and add anything I could not.

Ira (owner of a lot of old Pentax gear)
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:15 AM   #2

I use all my dads old ricoh lenses- Im not sure what the camera body is ill have a look later. Ive got a 50mm f/2 and a 28mm f/2, and a 50-200mm f/4. All work fine on my camera and ive not had any of them even come close to jamming - the mount seems to be the exact same of my other lenses that are designed for the pentax (bar the electrical contacts and the AF hole)
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:56 AM   #3
KVP

Hi Monza - Ira

Also saw your posting in "What Camera Should I Buy?". Some 15 years ago Idid buya Pentax P30n and some lenses: Pentax A 35-210 / Pentax A 70-200 / Pentax A 28-80 and a Vivitar Serie1 100-500. In the mean time I've had a Kodak 6490 and a Fuji S5500 to get finallly back again to Pentax, the ist DS. I was wondering too whether it would be possible to use my old lenses and I can only say yes, without any problem whatsoever. Hope it will help you in your final decission.

Regards, Conrad.
KVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:59 AM   #4

Conrad

I wish all of my lenses were A-series, that would allow me to use all of the cameras metering options, but I only have one, and the teleconverter. I have used a friend's *istDS with an old Pentax K-mount 55mm, f1:1.8 (first standard K-mount lens I believe) and it was great to work with so I am not too concerned.

Thanks for the reply.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:26 AM   #5

Default No need to avoid lenses with the pin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post

1)- Avoid P-series Ricoh lenses (these are for the Ricoh program cameras and have a letter P setting on the aperture ring similar to the A on the A-series Pentax). These lenses have a spring loaded electrical contact which can jam in the focus mechanism on the Pentax body.

Ira (owner of a lot of old Pentax gear)
I know this is an old post, but I see it all over the place, advising not to buy lenses with the infamous pin for pentax cameras. Guys... it is one of the easiest things that you have ever fixed. No need to sand down, push in, or anything like that. Simply unscrew the 3 screws holding on the mount. Take off the mount. The pin will drop out. Screw the mount back on. Problem solved. I did this with a P version I have and glad I did. Sharpest lens I own. If you would like pictured and detailed instructions on what the pin looks like and removal, simply do a search for removing the ricoh pin and you will find quite a few.
Pedwalk is offline   Reply With Quote