Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:58 AM   #1

Hi everyone! I'm using a pentax ist DS and have a bunch of screwmounts sitting around the place. I'm not that fond that most of the adapters out there require that I sit down with the removal tool and remove the adapter, especially if I have a few other K mount lenses around. Anyone have any luck with a 3rd party adapter out there that doesn't require a removal tool and can be removed with the lens just like any other K mount?
tuxedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 2:33 PM   #2

Why insist upon a third party device? I've used the Pentax one for over twenty years without ever having to resort to a special tool to remove it. Even at list price, the Pentax is cheap.
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:05 PM   #3

that's interesting, because all the pentax ones out there now require this removal tool to remove the adapter ring, hence:

if I have a screwmount mounted on the camera, I must first unscrew the lens, take the removal tool, remove the adapter, then I can mount a K lens.

Is this true with your pentax adapter?
tuxedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:28 AM   #4

They are all like that to insure that you have the adapter in place correctly. You must then unlock the spring on the adapter (I use my finger nail) to remove it. There is no way to unlock the spring without first removing the M42 lens.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:29 AM   #5

Yes, get the pentax, IIRC, "B" adaptor. The marks on the lens end up on the top, I don't use a tool or have the need to unlock anything.

I do have to remove the lens and adaptor seperately. Would a thread locker work????

Spent some time on my father's lathe parting the spacer on an off-brand. Besides the fact that it came loose and went sailing across the garage, and took forever to cut, it places the lens marks in a random spot.

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:41 AM   #6

"Spent some time on my father's lathe parting the spacer on an off-brand. Besides the fact that it came loose and went sailing across the garage, and took forever to cut, it places the lens marks in a random spot"

That is why the lock is on them so your point of focus won't change each time you pout the lens on the camera and if it is locked, you can not get the adapter off the camera without removing the lens.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 6:44 PM   #7

I don't use a special tool. I do use my fingernail to "unlock" the adapter. But, I usually have that with me.

The Pentax adapter always works just as though it was made for this facility. :-)
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:48 PM   #8

I shouldn't have used the word "random." I should have used "incorrect." The off brand spacer putsthe marksin the same place everytime, on the bottom of the camera ... Obviously not engineered to be cut apart, I just did it as a test to see if it would focus w/o the spacer-it did, and I bought the correct adaptor. That <1mm spacer on the adaptor would not allow it to focus to infinity!!!!!!!
Point of focus didn't change on the off brand removing/installingbefore/after modifying theadaptor.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:02 PM   #9

Panzergnome

It sounds like your 3rd party adapter may be a Pentax K-mount to T-mount adapter. A T-mount is used with some lenses (notably Tamron who I think invented it) to allow them to mount on many different cameras. I have a T-mount 500mm mirror lens with two T-mounts, a Pentax and a Minolta Maxxum. The lenses themselves have the same 42mm thread as a Pentax screw mount but cannot be used without an adapter. If you mount a Pentax screw mount lens onto a T-mount adapter for Pentax K the lens will not focus to infinity (but may be great for close ups.

The actual K-mount adapter for screw mount lenses is a simple metal bayonet ring with a small spring catch to hold it on the camera. A special tool may come in handy but a strong fingernail, jeweller's screwdriver or pen knife point will work just fine if you are careful.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:45 PM   #10

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Panzergnome

The actual K-mount adapter for screw mount lenses is a simple metal bayonet ring with a small spring catch to hold it on the camera. A special tool may come in handy but a strong fingernail, jeweller's screwdriver or pen knife point will work just fine if you are careful.

Ira

YES! It works Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It installs/removes with minimal fuss.