Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2005, 8:36 PM   #1

I use the supplied software (Pentax Photo Browser and Laboratory) to transfer the pictures (usually RAW) from the camera to my laptop, and after deleting the worst save a few as TIFF.

Apart from the fact that the browser is very cumbersome, it crashes a lot. My OS is Apple's OS X 10.4. Does anyone else have problems with PPB? Is there a better forum to discuss it?
AK Carlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:04 AM   #2

Yes it is unstable. Mine wants to close frequently. Rather annoying. Lousy software. Tried the Photo Lab for converting and adjusting, but will stick to ps cs. Much better to use.....Cheers...........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:02 PM   #3

I have been using the Pentax software for some months and never had a problem.

My OS is Windows ME and the software installed simply and runs without any fuss.

I find it easy to use and very effectice at performing basic adjustments on the RAW files when necessary.

The only problems I have had is when I run ith multiple graphics applications open at the same time sometimes the system does crash. This happens even if the Pentax software is not active.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:46 AM   #4

Id say your better off using the camera RAW plugin for photoshop, there shouldnt be any problems running it on the MAC. I use XP myself, havent had any issues with the software though.

Have you tried browsing Pentax website?
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:25 AM   #5

I don't use photoshop. I only use the Pentax software for download and initial browsing (to delete the really bad ones!), though I don't need it for this. I do prefer it for making the initial conversion from RAW to TIFF, and even though that might only be done for 5% of the pictures, I would still prefer that the software didn't crash so much. And be more user friendly - if I set it to convert a batch of pictures, and try to get on with something else, it brings back up the browser window after every picture is processed.
AK Carlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:57 AM   #6

The version that came with the camera seem more stable at first. I downloaded the new version and it crash all the time. I removed it and used the the old version. I am using the new one now. The trick is not to double click on your image to open the browser. If you go this route you must wait for the image to load. Try this, open an image file by double clicking it notice at the bottom of the main screen the one displaying all your image¬* a loading bar. If you start editing or even clicking the picture window off before the bar fully loads the program will crash. So either wait for it to load or best to open up the Pentax browser first and from the left hand side open the folder from there. The tree listing is odd at least to me.¬* The software forward and back button is somewhat slugish.Also if it keeps crashing you can GO--> Hard Drive --> Users --->Folder with your name-->Library-->Preference-->delete- this file-->¬*jp.co.pentax.photobrowser.plist. Also you may notice when your deleting file the trash does not show as being full, but when you open it the files are there, if you drag one out¬* onto the desktop and put it back in it will show the garbage can being full and you can empty it. I believe you can from the top menu under [Finder] use the secure empty trash without having to do all that. Hope this helps out
Thinsections is offline   Reply With Quote