Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2005, 6:18 AM   #11

sending my ist back today because of a sensor blob i've had since day one. no amount of blowing will clear it. i've tried the wet method as well to no avail.

here's a link to the tools i purchased. spent about $23us on it. it's a far cry from a $100. it did fine except on the one spot.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html
www.micro-tools.com
Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:05 AM   #12

Use sensor brush. Fill tiny beakers with distilled water, wet brush shake till its not soaking wet, wipe across glass quickly, rinse in beaker and shake. Repeat the steps using cleaner water. Proceed shaking brush more, making it drier which picks up more¬* water.¬* Move the remaining water to one side as the brush soaks it up, with practice you will see the water dry quickly preventing formation of water residue which does show up in images.¬* One of these day I 'll try millipore¬* water and maybe kodak fotoflo which is use to prevent water stain on photographic prints. But straight distilled has worked fine.
Thinsections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 2:16 AM   #13

Ive just used the sensor swab, results are OK but there are a couple of spots that wont come off. Ill post some pics afterwards.

Although in one of those previous articles - its pretty impossible to scratch the glass with a soft brush. It just doesnt work like that.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:34 AM   #14

Everything I've seen on sensor cleaning involves putting something IN to the camera - air, or a brush, or a wet swab ... Has anyone considered taking stuff OUT? What about a little gentle vacuum cleaner, with a hood covering the open lens mount and the mirror in the cleaning position?

Since I imagine it has been thought of before, is it that there is some major problem with it?
AK Carlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:42 AM   #15

Thinsections wrote:
Quote:
Use sensor brush. Fill tiny beakers with distilled water, wet brush shake till its not soaking wet, wipe across glass quickly, rinse in beaker and shake. Repeat the steps using cleaner water. Proceed shaking brush more, making it drier which picks up more water. Move the remaining water to one side as the brush soaks it up, with practice you will see the water dry quickly preventing formation of water residue which does show up in images. One of these day I 'll try millipore water and maybe kodak fotoflo which is use to prevent water stain on photographic prints. But straight distilled has worked fine.
If I am reading the instructions from Copper Hill for there sensor brush. it says to dip the brush in distilled water agatate then allow to dry on a clean plate then blow air through it to charge. Says nothing about using wet brush
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:39 AM   #16

Hi¬* Joelw135,¬* I am using the sensor brush¬* from visible dust, wetting it with distilled water then cleaning the sensor. The copper hill method does not used a wet brush if memory serves me right. Also use air to speed up drying the sensor not canned but from a compressor, just make certain you have air and oil traps if you got this method.¬* I give the sensor a puff of air¬* and check for dust by taking a picture before starting,¬* it may dislodge the particle.¬* So far the wet method works well for me, it picks up particles and by rinsing, it washes them away.¬* You don't have to worry about some linty fabric¬* or some chemicals.¬* Hope¬* this clears things up.
Thinsections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:40 AM   #17

So far I have been lucky and haven't had to clean the sensor. I change lens with opening facing down and it seems to help a lot.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote