Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2005, 1:58 AM   #1

In a few weeks ill have enough money for a Pentax *ist Ds. The only thing I cant figure out is what lens I should get. Here are a few lenses ive been looking at. (BTW the max price I can spend is $150)

Sigma 28-105mm F2.8
Sigma 24-70mm F3.5
Sigma 28-80 F3.5
Tamron 28-80 F3.5
Tamron 80-210 F4.5

Please let me know if any of these are good.
Cbl12886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2005, 5:35 AM   #2

Get the kit lens with the camera, and buy one of those with a longer reach - probably the 200mm would be the best bet, otherwise soon enough you will be wanting one anyway
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 7:34 PM   #3

Mine came with a Sigma 18-125 Zoom and it is agood gemeral purpose lens (remebering the 1.5 effective focal length effect).

And has been suggested I have since bought some longer lenses, including a Sigma 70-300 zoom.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 2:00 AM   #4

You can buy lots of 80-200mm used on ebay for under $10.

Get a 50mm f2.0, about the same price. Then save up for what you find you shoot most.

Longer focal length isn't better, just longer. It totally depends on what you shoot.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 4:31 AM   #5

True it doesnt mean its better, just i found i was glad i got the 55-200 as well as the 18-50 with my kit, I find i rarely use the 200 but its useful for certain wildlife etc (although if thats what i was shooting properly i would invest the money for a 300mm 2.8 prime).

No matter what you get, its not going to be enough. Have fun constantly looking for new and better lenses :-)
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:33 PM   #6

I double checked how much money I have and I only have enough for the body and about $20 left over. It will be a two more weeks till my next pay check so can anyone recommend an older lens that I could get on ebay for cheap. Links would be apreciated.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:20 PM   #7

I found this one on ebay and was wondering if it would be alright to start out with just so I can use the camera before I can afford a nice lens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-A-SMC-645...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:42 AM   #8

Cbl12886 wrote:
Quote:
I found this one on ebay and was wondering if it would be alright to start out with just so I can use the camera before I can afford a nice lens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-A-SMC-645...QQcmdZViewItem
This lens is for a Pentax 645, which is a medium format camera, and won't fit on the *ist body as is. Good luck in your search. There are plenty of good finds on eBay, just be patient!

brunoczm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 7:28 AM   #9

What you need is basically a lens that fit the K-mount. This mount was introduced by Pentax in 1975, so there is quite a huge amount of used lenses out there now - for more info on the K-mount, look at http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/

K-mout lenses can be devided into3 categories:

Fully manual (often advertised as SMC-M): can be used on *istDS in manual mode, but the aperture has to be stopped down (meaning darker viewfinder). Too cumbersome IMHO, but some of them are optically great at a very low price.

Automatic aperture, no autofocus (often advertised as SMC-A, othervise recognisable by the letter A on the aperture ring): Set the aperture to A, and they will function as any brand new lens on your *istDS, except for the autofocus. (The camera gives you a focus signal, but you have to turn the focus ring manually). You can get som exceptional glass here, if you are on a budget and don't mind skipping the AF.

Fully automatic (often advertised as SMC-F or SMC-FA): Gives you everything, including AF - but generally more expensive, of course.

What type (zoom or prime), length, etc. you should go for, depends on what you are shooting - so its up to you to answer that:-). Beware of the 1.5 focal length factor, though.

I have a couple of second-hand lenses. One of them is a SMC-A 28mm/2.8, which I bought for the equivilent of 40$. Is well build, compact, fast, sharp - and equals a "short normal" taken the 1.5 factor in consideration.

I also own a Sigma18-125 mm, bought from new. Its very handy for travelling - the optical quality is OK for the price, but of course not like a good prime.

The Pentax 50mm/1.4 and 1.7 normal primes has almost cult-status on some corners of the net. I have just bought an SMC-F 50mm/1.7 on eBay (123$ + shipping), and I'm now eagerly waiting for it to cross the Atlantic....
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:46 PM   #10

One of my favorite lenses for my Pentax 1stDS is the 28-105mm. Here is a sample photo taken with the lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote