Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:35 AM   #1

Ok, this problem is starting to really frustrate me. I've had my *ist DS for several months now, and have generally been happy with it. However...

Many times I have tried to take photos of my son in sporting events (Karate, track, etc.) He is generally moving of course, and this is indoors sometimes. Now what happens is, I finally get him in frame and go to click the shutter and.... NOTHING.

The camera won't take the picture. It then usually snaps off a pic just a second later... after he's out of frame. Or sometimes not at all. I think the camera doesn't think its focused. I have tried "moving object mode" and upped the ISO and tried shutter priority mode, just about everything, but it doesn't seem to help.

Maybe I should have bought the Canon 20D for this type of photography?

Any ideas?
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:12 PM   #2

You might have to, if you haven't already, switch over to sports mode to get continuous autofocus. Continuous AF only works on the ds in the action/sports mode. I haven't used this mode yet, but I too noticed that if the camera doesn't get a correct focus, it won't let you capture the shot. Hope that helps.........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:48 PM   #3

Thanks however, it's not called "sports mode" on the DS, it's actually called "Moving Object Mode", and as I mentioned above, I've already done that.

In that mode, I either get a blur, or the shutter doesn't go off at all. Very frustrating. One of the reasons I bought a DSLR instead of another "consumer" digicam was so I could take pics like these!

I think the reviewers should do more with the "sports mode" or whatever each camera has (more than just snapping pictures until the buffer is full to see how many FPS you can get.) It's a lot different taking pictures of actual moving things!

Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:06 PM   #4

It sounds as if your Auto Focus is a little too slow for the situation. Which batteries are you using? The fastest AF is achieved using the lithium AA Energizers, about $2.50 ea. at most home centers. Cheaper at Sam's Club. NiMH batts are notoriously slow in the AF dept. Some lenses are also known to be slow at AF.The litiums are powerfull and long lasting, as they only discharge when actually being used; they can sit idle for up to 10 years.

You say that the camera thinks it's out of focus and won't fire, but what do you think? Does the image appear in focus to you?You can disable the focus lockout in the menus, and the shutter will fire immediately every time you press it. An aperture of f/8 or f/11 will give you better DOF and more leeway in focusing.Or, you could just switch to manual focus when you like the image in the viewfinder and the shutter will likewise fire when pressed.

Also, I believdyou must keep the button half pressed in the moving object mode while tracking your subject for it to function proprely.

Hope this helps, Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:14 PM   #5

If you insist on using AF, also switch your AF point to be the center dot only, and keep that tracking on your target.

You will probably find you can focus faster with manual focus for this type of thing
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:16 PM   #6

I have a DS and the above information is right on, I use spot focus for most of my shots.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:08 AM   #7

Spot focus 99% of the time!!
daveinozbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:17 AM   #8

Excellent advice all. Thank you very much.

Right now I'm using NiMh 2500ma Energizers. That's the first time I'd heard that battery type could cause slow auto-focus. I figured, power is power right, as long as the battery isn't dead, but I suppose it could be delivering less than optimal needed to focus the lens I was using. Which by the way is:

A Sigma 28-135mm F2.8-4.0 - pretty good lens, but large. Probably requires lots of power to AF.

I'll try setting my aperture to F8 or F11 to get better DOF and also certainly will try the single point focus thing.

Thanks guys!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:19 AM   #9

Also, I think the advice to try manual focus is good. I'm going to try that too. Sometimes with technology you forget that humans are still pretty efficient at some tasks!

Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:42 AM   #10

Yeh manual focus is better especially for sports. Usually the AF system gets confused and will try and focus on the background and stuff.

But a f/2.8 or 4 lens shouldnt have a problem getting enough light
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote