Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:37 PM   #1

I was just wondering if anyone had any experienc with the Pentax 80-320 f4.5-5.6 FA lensand the *ist? I looked around the site but I haven't stumbled on any information about experiences with this lens.

TIA
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:32 PM   #2

i bought this lens about a month ago and i love it so far , no complaints at all
mikes350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 1:25 PM   #3

Hi guys,

I am reviving this topic because I just got a *istDL and I am wondering if there are any other comments on this lens (Pentax 80-320 f4.5-5.6 FA lens ). I currently have an old 70-210mm f 4-5.6 Sigma UC ZOOM but the Pentax has a better range for my purposes and the Sigma tends to hunt for focus more than the Pentax lenses I own (same f5.6 aperture at full zoom as the kit lens and my FA 28-80). A friend of mine has this lens (it looks very sharp in the silver finish) and I have seen some nice telephoto shots from her film SLR.

This lens is just a consumer lens, I understand that, pro quality equipment is just too expensive (and too heavy) for me. I want a lens that is sharp with good contrast (the main weakness of the Sigma is the poor contrast, it is quite sharp). I have some old Pentax MF prime lenses for those times that I need larger apertures, this lens is more of a daylight wildlife lens for me (I am not a wildlife photographer but I do like to get some shots when I am out walking the trails, so big-fast lenses would definitely be overkill).

Any comments and sample images would be helpful.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:37 PM   #4

pic_*ist wrote:
Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone had any experienc with the Pentax 80-320 f4.5-5.6 FA lensand the *ist? I looked around the site but I haven't stumbled on any information about experiences with this lens.

TIA
For those of you who still haven't found this page: http://stans-photography.info/

Someone (Stan) is making a tremendous effort to keep the rest of us well informed on nearly every Pentax lens that have ever been produced. Experienced users, professionals and amateurs, give their comments on each lens. I always check there before I bid on auction sites. There are lots of positive comments on the 80-320 f4.5-5.6 FA lens. Enjoy!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:13 PM   #5

I bought this lens several years ago for my ZX-50. Works fine on my *istDS. My only complaint is the focus is slow. Much slower than the 18-55 lens that came with the DS kit. I have missed shots because of this. But other than that, I think it is a great consumer lens.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:32 AM   #6

I don't have the *ist D (any model)but that's why I'm here. However, I do have the Pentax FA80mm F4.5 - 320mm f5.6 lens for my ZX-30 and I really like the lens for that specific camera. I'm here browsing actually trying to figure out how my lenses would work with the new *ist DS2 because I'm thinking of buying it. I'm sort of torn between it and the Olympus E500 because it's an 8mp camera opposed to the 6.1 effective megapixels of the Pentax. However, I think that the Olympus sample shots on Steve's review look a little overexposed. I just don't know how to judge that because he used different lenses than I would be using. If any of you could shine some light on your thoughts between these two cameras, I would greatly appreciate it. And if you could tell me how the *ist DS2 does for "motion" or "action" shots, I would greatly appreciate it.. That is where I would get the most use out of this camera. Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me...

Here are a few snapshots that I have taken with this lens inquired about in this thread. Keep in mind that they are with a 35mm Pentax ZX-30 and NOT an *ist D, but it my shed a little light on the lens for you. These were all taken at maximum zoom (320mm) with 400 speed film. The speed film was a bit much for the great sunny day that we had, but it was an overcasted forcast and I bought 400 for the weekend. I hope these will shed a little light on your inquiries about this lens.

(keep in mind that these are 35mm shots that are scanned in as well and will not give a 100% accurate judgement of the lens. Just something to go by)

Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:48 AM   #7

The OLY would be the last DSLR I'd buy.

It has a 2x crop factor, so you need extreme WA lenses to get a WA shot.

You couldn't fall upon a great lens deal either, like the 400mm 5.6 that was just on e-bay- or use the Pentax lenses you already have.

And with increasing sensor sizes, I'd really wonder whether their 2x crop lens line is going to survive very long.

Nice shots, btw!
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:04 AM   #8

Panzergnome wrote:
Quote:
The OLY would be the last DSLR I'd buy.

It has a 2x crop factor, so you need extreme WA lenses to get a WA shot.

You couldn't fall upon a great lens deal either, like the 400mm 5.6 that was just on e-bay- or use the Pentax lenses you already have.

And with increasing sensor sizes, I'd really wonder whether their 2x crop lens line is going to survive very long.

Nice shots, btw!

Thanks, I appreciate that! I understand about the Wide Angle shots and all, but Olympus can put out some great shots!!! I just don't know... I'm leaning more towards the Pentax because I've always used Pentax because my Dad always used Pentax and I've always been pleased with them... As a matterof fact, I'veeven got hisold Pentax ME Super and lenses! That thing is one of the most amazing cameras I've ever seen!

I'm just starting to wonder if Pentax is ever going to get above the 6 megapixel range.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:18 AM   #9

2x crop, what??
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:30 AM   #10

errno_gmm the Olympus has an even smaller sensor which has an effective crop factor of 2X instead of the 1.5X of the Pentax. That is why the Olympus kit lens is a 14-45mm (which gives the "normal" 28-90mm range). This also explains why the Pentax has slightly better high ISO performance than the Olympus, 8MP on a physically smaller chip means smaller individual photosites and subsequently a greater likelihood for random noise to be generated.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote