Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:07 AM   #1

Afternoon all,

I've been thinking of getting a better telephoto lens than my current cheap and cheerful Pentax 75-300mm FA-J.

I've found a brand new "Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX APO RF" for sale on eBay. They have over 100,000 feedback so I think they're probably a legit business and I shouldn't have any problems ordering from them.

Including postage the price works out to £400 after currency coversion from dollars to pounds. The cheapest I've seen it here is £650 (at warehouse express).

So my questions are basically: it seems like a great price, is it? Could I get anything from the UK for a similar price that's as good? I've seen many people going on about how good this lens is, so I'll assume that it's safe to say it's a quality lens.

I've seen a Tokina 80-400mm on warehouse express for £249 but this is a returned lens that has been repaired. I have a Sigma 50mm macro lens which is great quality, so I'm pretty sure the Sigma lens will be good, not sure how good Tokina are though.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edward

http://photos.edgladwin.com/
ejgladwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2

I was looking at this lens myself a while ago. Seems ok, I dont know why the focal range is so extreme though.

$2500 AUD was the best price i could find in a store in Perth, so i guess 400 pounds is good, I dont know what the conversion is there though
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:32 AM   #3

ejgladwin wrote:
Quote:
Afternoon all,

I've been thinking of getting a better telephoto lens than my current cheap and cheerful Pentax 75-300mm FA-J.

I've found a brand new "Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX APO RF" for sale on eBay. They have over 100,000 feedback so I think they're probably a legit business and I shouldn't have any problems ordering from them.

Including postage the price works out to £400 after currency coversion from dollars to pounds. The cheapest I've seen it here is £650 (at warehouse express).

So my questions are basically: it seems like a great price, is it? Could I get anything from the UK for a similar price that's as good? I've seen many people going on about how good this lens is, so I'll assume that it's safe to say it's a quality lens.

I've seen a Tokina 80-400mm on warehouse express for £249 but this is a returned lens that has been repaired. I have a Sigma 50mm macro lens which is great quality, so I'm pretty sure the Sigma lens will be good, not sure how good Tokina are though.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edward

http://photos.edgladwin.com/
I don't own the particular lens you are looking at, but I do own the Sigma 170-500 lens, and feel it is a good lens, but not outstanding. When it is stabilized, the pictures are great, but is very susceptible (as is any telephoto lens) to any shake or quiver, giving it soft focus.
My questions is, why do you need a lens with that much variety in focal range? Most people who buy a 500mm lens do it because they use that upper end nearly exclusively. I have found that I have rarely used my Sigma under 500mm - only on the odd occasions. And because of the huge size of the lens, it is not the kind you just casually carry around - most probably you will be using it with a tripod or monopod. I guess what I am saying is that you may want to consider looking at a 400mm or 500mm prime lens, which you can get at a much better price. For example, I recently picked up a 400mm Mamiya Sekor M42 lens I use on my *ist Ds, and it takes wonderful, clear, sharp photos, and I got it for $60 USD on ebay. Also recently picked up a Takumar 400mm prime for about $100 USD

As far as Tokina lenses, I absolutely love them, and have found them to be as good as quality as nearly anything else I own. The Tokina 400mm is a real gem - look around on different review sites, and you will see that it is one of the best 400mm's around - very highly reviewed. There are not a lot of them out for sale used, I think because people actually hold on to them.

So, if you really do need that much range, the Sigma will be a pretty good lens. However, you do have options which will not drain the back account quite as much
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:40 PM   #4

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
$2500 AUD was the best price i could find in a store in Perth, so i guess 400 pounds is good, I dont know what the conversion is there though
Try here http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/Sigma%20Lenses.htm

Bodack is offline   Reply With Quote