Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:36 PM   #11

Just got a *istDL for Christmas, I am very happy with it. Viewfinder is still better than most of the other dSLRs in this price range, the burst rate is fine for the work I do and I always turn off all of the focus points except the centre one anyway.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:42 PM   #12

Ira:

I am quite happy for you that your decision has been made. Enjoy your camera.

I am waiting for the next crop of cameras that will almost surely come out in Jan/Feb and probably experience a price drop by summer...

Meantime, my Oly C770UZ will work for me just fine until then.

Also, I finally found a local Digital Photography course to attend...Digital 101 one day a week for six weeks (2 hour classes) and then probably take Digital 102 for the following six weeks...THEN, I should be receiving a call from Ansel Adams quizzing me on my superior knowledge of photography, follwed by a call from Playboy asking me what my photography secrets are...:-):-)

Bob
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:18 PM   #13

Bob-

I think Ira will love the Pentax dSLR. It fits perfectly with his lens inventory. Did you ever buy the Fuji S-9000?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:49 PM   #14

Hey Ira, little confused...I thought you wanted to stay away from the istd-L ? 3 point focus vs. 11 point? Was it the price or was it a surprise gift from Santa? Why not the DS2 or the DS?

FunBug:|
funbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:51 PM   #15

Sorry re-read your post but other than the point focus there is no other bells and whistles the DS orDS2 has over the DL . did it come down to price?

FunBug:|
funbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:03 AM   #16

funbug

It was a surprize gift but... my wife wisely decided that the DL, with kit lens, was a better buy than a DS2, without a lens, for the same price. Without the 18-55mm my lens set would have no wide angle capability. DS2 body -$950Cdn, DL kit - $950Cdn with an additional $50 rebate, net cost $900 Cdn. In other wordsfor $50 less I got a camera with alens that normally sells for about $185Cdn, definitely a better deal. The focus issue is not an issue since I immediately set the camera to centre point only (which I would have done with the DS2 as well), The viewfinder is very good (not much different from the DS, much better than Canon 350Dor Nikon D50), and the burst mode is no big deal. The DL is close enough to the DS2 specs that, at a net reduction of $235 (free lens and rebate) it could not be passed up.

Thank you for your interest.

Ira

Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:09 PM   #17

Mtclimber: No, I never bought the S9000/9500...the reviews were good, but they still complained about little things that were constant with the prosumer digicams, but "solved" by the dSLR...

The more I read and learned, the more I realized that I want a dSLR, preferably with 2-3 lenses...Nikon, plus a few other lensmakers now have an 18-200 zoom lens...

So, with a wide angle of equivalent 24/28mm, and 18-200 zoom, maybe one prime around 50mm (or a good 35-70 zoom), I think I will be covered for my kind of photography...MAYBE someday I would get a 300 or 500mm for long wildlife photos, but I must win Lotto to do that...

Basically, aside from the 10-12X zoom and 8-10 MPof the all in ones, I have concluded that the dSLR is what I want/need...

And, I have stated previously that dSLR cameras, IMO, are about to break critical mass, kinda like when the Pentium 4 became the standard computer chip...

dSLRs are about to become 8-12 MP, which will be more than I will ever need...and, I do believe that the following events are about to happen, altho I could be seriously wrong, I still think the upcoming market will offer me choices beyond belief, the hard part just choosing ONE camera to own. This is what I project between Jan and Jul of 2006

1. Olympus will bring out the successor to the E1; 2. Konica Minolta will upgrade the 7D to either 7Di or 9D, improving on the great 7D; 3. Pentax will come out with a 8-10 MP successor to the D/DS/DS2 series; 4. Pentax + Samsung may have a new product on their own;5. Sigma may come out with an SD11 (or whatever) and improve the Foveon sensor; 6. Fuji may come out with an S4 and maybe another camera a little less "pro"...and I still have my Oly C770UZ to take pictures while these cameras come down in price after their initial introduction...

I believe that the next year in dSLRs will give the performance that 90% of the camera world says it wants...and all I have to do is sit back and wait to buy the best product for my needs...

Bob

marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:11 PM   #18

Bob

You are right of course, but I now have a very capable 6MP camera which will do me unless I get the urge to make really big prints.

It is so nice to actually have limited DOF again. Here is a picture of my son's bearded dragon shot with an old Sigma 70-210mm UC ZOOM f:4-5.6 lens (got it off ebay for about $50 shipping included), this is at 210mm (remember that this ia equivalent to 315mm on 35mm), 1/180th shutter speed with the internal flash (everything set on program). This is not a 100% crop (I may post that later) but it shows how narrow the depth of field is at 210mm wide open.

It is so great to be able to isolate the subject without having to resort to photoshop.

Ira
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:19 PM   #19

Here is the 100% crop, notice this old lens does have some chromatic aberrations but remember that this is not state of the art (really Sigma's cheaper line from quite a few years ago). Notice that the DOF is less than the length of this lizard's head (which measures less than 2" by the way). Note that these pictures a compressed for web use as well.

Ira
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:39 PM   #20

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
Meantime, my Oly C770UZ will work for me just fine until then.

Bob
After you get your new camera, you'll still think your UZI works just fine,
maybe better!!!

Tons of people that still love those things.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote