Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:14 PM   #21
Administrator

Ira:

Congratulations on your Christmas Present!

Also, you never know, Pentax may come out with a body later on with Antishake, too (which was one reason I suggested looking at KM since you also had Minolta lenses).

I don't have any knowledge of future DSLR products with an antishake system from Petnax. But, Pentax just anmounced two non-DSLR models with a system that appears to be similar to Konica-Minolta's Anti-Shake (so, it seems logical that they'd use this technology in DSLR models later, too).

Pentax Optio A10 and Optio E10 Announcement at CES 2006

Here's a quote from it:

Quote:
Shake Reduction System (SR)
A Shake Reduction system unique to PENTAX delivers stability in shooting conditions that are sensitive to camera shake, such as telephoto shots or indoor shots without a flash. Specifically, the SR mechanism features:
  • Quote:
  • Two internal gyro sensors that detect the amount of camera shake. [/*]
  • A dedicated CPU calculates the necessary correction from the amount of camera shake and the focusing data of the lens. [/*]
  • A proprietary mechanism adjusts the CCD based on the calculated correction to compensate for the camera shake[/*]
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:00 PM   #22

Panzergnome: Once I have my dSLR, I have no intention of discarding my 770UZ...just like I still have my film Minolta 5xi, too good to throw away, and, if I could find it, a mint condition Minolta X700...and I thought I was hot stuff because I had a 35-70mm zoom instead of just a 50mm prime...:-):-):-):-)

Ira: that bearded dragon looks distinctly like my mother-in-law...have you been stalking my family during Xmas and New Year's???...:?:G:?:-)

Bob
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:42 AM   #23

JimC, interesting announcement, perhaps with the Samsung deal Pentax will develop a similar system for their dSLRs. BTW any word on the Sony -KM deal? I look forward to seeing what this will bring, possibly a Sony dSLR with KM lens mount and anti-shake along with the 10+MP Sony chip (related to the R1 model), perhaps even a Carl Zeiss lens in KM mount??... Sorry, got carried away there for a minute.

As for the Pentax, I think that some reviewers are a little harsh on the *istDx line because Pentax hasn't really sorted the p&s jpeg modes as well as they should have. I found that a little experimentation with the settings has resulted in a big improvement in jpegimage quality. The ftn button has also made the menu driven image settings very quick and easy, not as good as the cameras with lots of buttons (especially the KM 7D) but much easier than some of the competition.

It is so nice to have a camera which has the familiar SLR feel of my film cameras.

Ira

Bob, sorry about the lizard picture, here is a mother-in-law door.

BTW this shot is on film, Kodak, from a Pentax K1000 with an SMC M-series 50mm f1.7 lens and linear polarizer. The print was scanned on an Acer flat bed scanner at 300dpi and then resized to post.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:18 AM   #24
Administrator

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
JimC, interesting announcement, perhaps with the Samsung deal Pentax will develop a similar system for their dSLRs. BTW any word on the Sony -KM deal? I look forward to seeing what this will bring, possibly a Sony dSLR with KM lens mount and anti-shake along with the 10+MP Sony chip (related to the R1 model), perhaps even a Carl Zeiss lens in KM mount??... Sorry, got carried away there for a minute.
I don't know anything (and if I did, I couldn't say anyway).

But, I'd expect some announcements by PMA (speculation, but that's when any DSLR models from Sony are likely to be launched, if they're ready).

Zeiss, huh? The "teasers" on their web site are interesting (lots of buzz about the possibility of Zeiss launching F-Mount Lenses for Nikon models). We should know something in the near future about their plans.

Another KM partnership? Potential financial woes aside, my vote would be to join forces with Leica. After all, Minolta and Leica were partners in the past. But, the Panasonic-Leica relationship; with the existing Sony-Zeiss relationship would probably make that one unlikely.

Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:37 AM   #25

Well I did it, I Bought the Pentax K100D still getting use to it but its amazing! I jumped from my Pentax MZ-7 35mm and find it the cats as_ !

Still looking for pointers about how to utilze the digital menues more efficiently

I did however like to use the iso feature at 3200 for low light along with the shut/spd and apert. But theres alot of other bells an whistles that are over my head and could use some examples and why you like using them!

p.s.

I couldnt find the section where to make a remote cable can anyone post it for me??

Thanks

FunBug:|
funbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:02 PM   #26

FunBug

Wow, that is a big bump! Interesting that the camera you bought pretty much answered what JimC and I were talking about.

Have fun FunBug.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:13 PM   #27

funbug wrote:
Quote:
Well I did it, I Bought the Pentax K100D still getting use to it but its amazing! I jumped from my Pentax MZ-7 35mm and find it the cats as_ !

Still looking for pointers about how to utilze the digital menues more efficiently

I did however like to use the iso feature at 3200 for low light along with the shut/spd and apert. But theres alot of other bells an whistles that are over my head and could use some examples and why you like using them!

p.s.

I couldnt find the section where to make a remote cable can anyone post it for me??

Thanks

FunBug:|
Another lurker/Torontonian. This thread must have been in your mind since Jan. Good to have you around

Daniel

p.s. about the DIY remote
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...t=remote+cable
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:46 PM   #28

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
As for the Pentax, I think that some reviewers are a little harsh on the *istDx line because Pentax hasn't really sorted the p&s jpeg modes as well as they should have. I found that a little experimentation with the settings has resulted in a big improvement in jpegimage quality. The ftn button has also made the menu driven image settings very quick and easy, not as good as the cameras with lots of buttons (especially the KM 7D) but much easier than some of the competition.
What we seem to have overlooked is that it was accepted in dSRLs that the camera didn't, at default, do as much 'in camera' processing as P&S cameras.

Of late, newer dSRLs have pampered tothe P&S user by providing a JPEG output that is more readily acceptable - nothing wrong with that, BUT let's not'down' the 'older' dSRLs (Pentax in particular) because that's the way they were intended to be.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:17 PM   #29

ThanksDaniel for the link, looked at a few possibilities might just end up buying one in the long run?? I ll have to think about it.

I must say going Digital Ive been able to take a heck of alot more photo's per subject/Event now I have to many to chose from... If anything it makes me want to be a beter Photographer to limit the amount but its also nice that a can fire off a quick one then adjust for a better setting if time permits!

Funbug :|
funbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:47 PM   #30
Administrator

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, that is a big bump! Interesting that the camera you bought pretty much answered what JimC and I were talking about.
Yep... that was a pretty big bump, and we were right about a DSLR coming later with Shake Reduction (which seemed to make sense at the time since Pentax had just announced two non-DSLR models with it).

I wonder when/if Canon and Nikon are going to get get the message and add it. Looking a SLR history, in body stabilization could end up being like in body Autofocus (with everyone eventually jumping on board). Only time will tell (and they probably won't do it without a compelling reason, like profit eroding, which doesn't seem to be happening right now).