Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:38 AM   #1

Something in the lens/cam is giving off some wild reflection:

And it appeared in another photo as well.

Attached Images

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:47 PM   #2

interesting shot. no exif info tho. does it do this all the time? if you didn't , try a shot closed down to f16-22 and see what happens. if it's on the sensor it'll probably show up better..mi had something on mine that looked like a electron scan of the ebola virus that no amount of blowing or swabbing would get off. i sent it back to pentax and they cleaned it. 1 week turn around and it's still got 3 spots on it. not near as bad and i haven't tried to clean it yet.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:28 AM   #3

Here's the full photo, dunno what i shot at-f1.4- 50mm- 30?
Attached Images

Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:29 AM   #4

And the other one, cropped ISO 400, f1.4, 1/30 same 50mm lens:
Attached Images

Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:36 PM   #5

lens flare??????
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:40 PM   #6

I guess. What's up w/ the pattern? Unusual for flare?????

The one behind the flagpole has it, the ones beside the flag look like they have it.

Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:04 PM   #7
Administrator

Have you checked the lens for smudges (or anything that looks unusual in coatings you can see)? Have you tried a different lens?

It looks like flare to me (and it may be perfectly normal given the bright lights in the photo). The odd flare pattern is probably being caused by the way the light is showing up inside the top of the tower/steeple(?). The lights are in a grid pattern of some type.

Scenes like that can easily cause flare (from reflections in the lens caused by the bright lights in the images).

Something on the sensor would usually show up at smaller apertures (for example, a photo with lots of bright sky) versus darker conditions shooting wide open at f/1.4

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:15 PM   #8
daz

Can you please post a full frame ( no cropping) of the photo. 600x401 pixels will do.

Thanks.

DAZ
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:44 AM   #9

Thanks. Here's the last one. The less defined 'phillips head screw' UFO's are beside the flag(these do appear to mimic the lights to the left now that you mention it), there's'better' one in fron/behind low on the left pole.

No smudges on the front or back of lens. Nothing visible inside with mirror locked up.

Out of the many pictures it's taken with various lenses, I haven't seenany flare. Looking at images with this lens, I get the feeling the 50mm 1.4 isn't made for anything other than close up shots.

Attached Images

Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:42 AM   #10
Administrator

Panzergnome wrote:
Quote:
Out of the many pictures it's taken with various lenses, I haven't seenany flare. Looking at images with this lens, I get the feeling the 50mm 1.4 isn't made for anything other than close up shots.

Try stopping it down to f/2 or so and see if that helps. Most lenses (*especially* lenses that have apertures as wide as f/1.4) are a bit soft wide open and that could also be a contributing factor.

Also, how old is the lens? It's not uncommon for manufacturers to improve their coatings over time. That's why you see so many lenses now with manufacturers claiming the new coatings are better for Digital in regards to flare and ghosting (becausea CCD sensoris more reflective than film).

P.S. - I'll assume you don't have any kind of filter on it either (a filter can be a huge contributing factor to flare).

Edit/Added:

One more thing... Have you repeated these types of shots since you took the samples you posted here? If not, it could have been a bit of condensation on a lens element causing problems, at the timeyou were taking these photos.

I had the same thing happen to me not long ago with a little pocket camera (flare, ghosting, purple streaks through images around strong light sources, etc.). It wasa "smudged" lens.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote