Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:23 AM   #1

Has anyone had issues with flaring on the SMC 28-200mm pentax lens. The lem=nse works fine wih my old pentax but is having probelms with the digital. I have tried the stock lense and it wrks great. I am just bummed about this lense...

Thanks
wisjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:55 AM   #2

I tried out that lens a while back, and found the same problem. It was an ok lens, but nothing special. Seems flaring can be a problem on digital slr's from what I've seen and read. Try using a lens hood if you can. That could help...thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:49 PM   #3

Thanks....

Will try the hood...

Any suggestions on a replacement lens that would be a carry around lens to be available for candid shots?
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:20 PM   #4

OK, tried the hood, no luck.

Things I have tried:

Manual focus

On a tripod,

On a tripod with the timer

With and without the flash...

I will try and post some pics tomorrow. It seems starnge that the biggest selling point with this camera was the fact you could use the FA lenses with it but it seems that only means that they can mount on the camera, not take acceptable pictures.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:23 AM   #5

Lenses designed for film are usually coated only on the front element. Film emulsions are non-reflective and don't cause flares off of the rear element; digital sensors are shiny and reflect light back into the rear of the lens. "Digitally optimized" lenses are usually just film lenses with a multi-coating on the rear element as well.

That being said, your lens is rated poorly on the SPLOS database:

http://www.jcolwell.ca/photo-gear/_SPLOSdb/

This is a handy thing to dl to disc, as it rates and gives price ranges for just about anything that can be attached to a Pentax camera.

I would suggest either the FA 28-105 f/3.2-4 or the new DA 50-200 as walkabout lenses for your dslr, and just use the 28-200 for film. The Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 LD is bigger, but at 15 oz. not muchheavier ( the newer mod. 572D, that takes 62mm filters and has 1:2 macro capability). About $90 used at KEH. I'm fairly impressed with mine.

Hope this helps,
Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:36 PM   #6

This is great info, Thanks....

I did contact Pentax and this is the reply I got back:

"We are not aware of any compatibility problems with any of our FA series lenses with any of our digital cameras. It might not be a bad idea to send in both body and lens for examination to see where the problem might lie."

I have no plans on sending in the camera but may send in the lens...

Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:20 PM   #7

I`ve been saving up my lunch money and was planning on getting a DS soon, but in light of this new information regarding lense flare with 35mm era lenses, I might hold off for awhile. I started with cameras with the Pentax K1000 many moons ago. I do now have a digital camera, a Panasonic FZ20, and it`s a decent for a first time digital unit. However, the electronic viewfinder leaves much to be desired. I like to go to rock concerts, which is low light frequently, and in such conditions, the view finder is pretty much useless. The image in the viewfinderis so dark in low light. I`ve now read several posts in the Panasonic section of this website where other Panasonic users werecomplaing about the viewfinder

This situation pretty much prompted me to look towards the Pentax line of DSLR gear. I still do have a few 35mm lenses. The 2lenses that I used mostwith my Pentax35mm bodies were the Sigma 135~400 and the Sigma 28~300. The longer lense I used at daylight sporting events, and the shorter lense, at concerts, and askind of a all around lense in general. I`m satisfied with the Sigma lenses with 35mm gear.

I`ve got to do some more research before I deciding on the DSLR equipment purchase.

Does anyone else have anything to post regarding using 35mm lenses on DSLR, and resulting lense flare.

Thanks Derbunk, for your post, and I`ll check out the link you provided.

Wisjohl, could you post a sample or 2 showing the flare situation?

S`later, JH
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:15 PM   #8

Next time I will take all my lenses to test the camera. I have several FA lenses that work fine and I still love the camera, just bummed about the one lense.

The flaring shows up in the second photo around the fingertips....

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Johls/Desktop/noflare.jpg[/img]

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Johls/Desktop/flare.jpg[/img]
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:26 PM   #9

Actually, I have quite a few film era lenses, even older screwmounts,that have no flare problems. It is the exception rather than the rule, but it still pops up now and then.The main flaw with the lens in question probably lies more withits extreme zoom range (28-200mm) than anything else. Pentax glass is usually very high quality, but they did contract out some models to other manufacturers and have put their brand on some not so great stuff. FWIW, the D, DS, DL and DS2 are far better with the older lenes than any of the competition.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:56 PM   #10

wisjohl wrote:
Quote:
Any suggestions on a replacement lens that would be a carry around lens to be available for candid shots?
Hmm...depends on what you mean by candid and carry around

If you mean old-school street photography, you don't need tele. Buy something realtively wide and fast, maybe even a prime. You will get cheap SMC A lenses on e-bay, which will optically outperform most zooms....

If you mean carry around to be ready for almost everything, I can recommend the Sigma AF 18-125 3,5-5,6 DC. I use it myself for travel and whenever I don't want to carry extra lenses. Apart from some distortion at both ends, its reasonably good, considering the price. Its not to heavy and fairly solid.

I would not by something with a bigger zoom range. There are simply to many optical compromises involved in constucting a mega-zoom. Om the contrary, if street photography is your main game, you might consider the Sigma AF 18-50 2,8 EX DC - its both sharper and faster than the 18-125.
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote