Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 5, 2005, 4:00 PM   #1

Hi all, this is my first post. I have a *ist DS for about half a year and I am quite happy with it, except for one thing. And that is that there seems to be no suitable
super wide angle zoom available (yet?) that can go down to 10-12mm.
In my search, I found a couple lenses:
Tamron 11-18/3.5-5.6
Tokina 12-24/4
Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6
Sigma 10-20/4-5.6
Pentax SMC P-DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED/AL (IF)

Unfortunately, the Tamron 11-18, Tokina 12-24, and Sigma 10-20 are only available for Canon/Nikon, not for Pentax. The Sigma 12-24 is for full frame 35mm camreras, heavy and expensive (pay more for less compared to Sigma 10-20). And the Pentax SMC P-DA 12-24mm is not out yet (when will it be?), and at $900 simply over my budget.
Are there any other lenses out there that I did not find?
Is it normal that Sigma/Tamron/Tokina bring out their lenses for Canon/Nikon first, and the eventually for Pentax, or are they not making all their lenses for Pentax?

At the moment I am so itching to get such a wide angle lens that I almost regret my decision to buy Pentax.
mibbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:02 PM   #2

smc P-DA 14mm F2.8 Like $629 from B&H
Wow, that's really wide! These guys had me talked into the 16-45.

Why not get a full frame??? Predictions are that sensors are heading that way-
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:33 PM   #3

I know that you want a zoom, but another option is a screwmount (M42) lens. There are some Zenitar 16mm lenses on eBay at very reasonable prices. You could get one and test it out to see if it meets your needs. Many of these Russian lenses are actually very good quality. Just a suggestion!
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:13 AM   #4

I have used a Raynox .7 Wide Angle Converter with its 52mm thread screwed onto the filter threads of the 18-55mm kit lens, and get a very sharp semi-fisheye image. This results in a 12mm lens.The corners are vignetted out and there's quite a bit of barrel distortion, but two passes of the barrel distortion filter set at 100% in PSP8 straightens everything out and fills in the corners as well. About $50 on ebay, but stick with the Raynox brand.

Lou

p.s. PTLens is a free plugin/standalone that can also be used to "de-fish" an image. Google will find it for you.

p.p.s. The Zenitars are also available in K mount, no adapter needed.
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:31 AM   #5

Thats a good idea! The 55mm Oly WCON .7 was a wonderful converter. Think I tried it on a lens before I gave it to my brother. People talk smack about front end converters, but I'd have no qualms about using it on a SLR.

derbunk wrote:
Quote:
I have used a Raynox .7 Wide Angle Converter with its 52mm thread screwed onto the filter threads of the 18-55mm kit lens, and get a very sharp semi-fisheye image. This results in a 12mm lens.The corners are vignetted out and there's quite a bit of barrel distortion, but two passes of the barrel distortion filter set at 100% in PSP8 straightens everything out and fills in the corners as well. About $50 on ebay, but stick with the Raynox brand.

Lou

p.s. PTLens is a free plugin/standalone that can also be used to "de-fish" an image. Google will find it for you.

Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:39 PM   #6

derbunk wrote:
Quote:

Lou

`These are all great ideas. Here is a link for new K mount Zenitar:

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/z...sheye_lens.htm
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 6:15 PM   #7

Wow! That's inexpensive! Any reviews??? How low can FL go before before it must go Fish Eye??

Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:37 AM   #8

I think that you need to get down to around 10-11mm to get the full fisheye effect with the D/s/l/s2.

Lou
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:50 PM   #9

Panzergnome wrote:
Quote:
Wow! That's inexpensive! Any reviews??? How low can FL go before before it must go Fish Eye??

The consensus seems to be that this lens is nothing short of extraordinary! Many, many reviews, pics, and user tips for it on this forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1036

Just do a search on zenitar and you'll get more info than you bargained for.

Lou
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:00 PM   #10

I ordered my Zenitar on the 5th of Oct. I hope it gets here in about a week, then I can play with the new toy.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote