Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:42 AM   #1

Increased Saturation, shooting in RAW really made it dull

Attached Images

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:27 AM   #2

Taylors Falls is only 20 miles from my place.

I have noticed that some RAW images need quite a bit it work to make them as bright as JPG images, but I have no idea why.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3

When you shoot jpegs, the image is processed by the in camera software according to your settings in the menus. With RAW, these settings are recorded but not applied until you do so in your software (using the "as shot" button, or something similar). You can, of course, change these settings to your liking in the RAW converter.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4

Default is to have to adjust the saturation in RAW shots, then?

derbunk wrote:
Quote:
When you shoot jpegs, the image is processed by the in camera software according to your settings in the menus. With RAW, these settings are recorded but not applied until you do so in your software (using the "as shot" button, or something similar). You can, of course, change these settings to your liking in the RAW converter.

Lou
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:28 PM   #5

In general, yes. Depends on the camera and the conversion program. In my case, I have my Ds set on natural tone, +1 sharpening, 0 saturation and 0 contrast, with white balance set on auto. Opening a pic in RSE usually needs no further saturation, but exposure, brightness and contrast need tweeking. In PSP X, it opens very flat and dark, but the Smart Fix control panel also opens with suggested settings already entered in these fields and just clicking OK results in a very nice image requiring little or no extra processing.

Lou
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:33 AM   #6

Just tried the most recent Irfanview (free) and it converts D and Ds PEF's to other formats and allows for simple editing and saving without overwriting the original (brightness, contrast, gamma, saturation, rotation and effects). You must dl the plug-in package as well as the viewer. Their Thumbnails program also recognizes PEF's and is handy for sorting.

The saturation in Irfanview looks much better without editing than the other programs. I guess that my point is that how a raw image looks upon opening depends on both the camera that captured it and the converter used to open it.

Lou