Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:26 PM   #1

I'm considering the *ist DS, and have seen several posts mentioning that you can use any previous Pentax lens. Does that also mean 3rd party lenses that were made for older Pentaxes?

I have an old Pentax ME Super 35mm SLR. It was a hand-me-down from my grandmother. I don't know squat about lenses, so I'll post as much info as I can find on the 3 lenses I have for it, starting with what's printed on the inner ring of the lens:

* Asahi Optical Co. SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm

* Sigma Standard Zoom 1:2.8 f=35 ~ 70mm
"For Pentax K"

* Vivitar 70-200mm Macro Focusing Zoom 1:4.5
P/K

Can I use any of those lenses with the *ist DS?

Also, I really want a wide angle lens as many of my shots will be outdoor scenery, buildings, and group (people) shots. Any recommendations? Also, what about the kit lens? Is it worth getting, or is it better to "upgrade"?

One last thing: what about a flash? I have a Pentax AF160...will that work?

Thanks...

Gecko85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:32 AM   #2
KSV

Quote:
Gecko85 wrote:

Can I use any of those lenses with the *ist DS?
All old lenses works just fine. There is only one catch – some 3rd party lenses very difficult to remove from camera. Search forums for those lenses, but AFAIK it is only some RICOH

Quote:
Also, I really want a wide angle lens as many of my shots will be outdoor scenery, buildings, and group (people) shots. Any recommendations? Also, what about the kit lens? Is it worth getting, or is it better to "upgrade"?
It is agreed that kit lens is a bargain for money asked – get it and it should be very good start point for wide angle. Pentax 14mm very well regarded, but not cheap at all.
Quote:
One last thing: what about a flash? I have a Pentax AF160...will that work?
Any one will work in manual mode. Lots will work in TTL mode. But to have full advantage from flash, PTTL mode is desirable. Currently only 3 can do it – Pentax 360, Pentax 540 and Sigma 500 DG Super. 360 has huge disadvantage – only tilt head, no swing. Also none is really cheap, sorry.

KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the replies...I'll probably get the kit lens, and use the Sigma zoom when I need a little extra. If I can find the 14mm cheap enough on ebay, perhaps I'll pick one up.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 6:43 PM   #4

Ok, updated question:

I'm now deciding between the DS with 18-55 kit lens, or body only and buying a different lens. I can get the DS with 18-55 lens for $799 (locally). Or, I can get the body only for $579 (dbuys.com). I've found a couple different lens bundles on ebay, but don't know anything about them:

1: Sigma 2-lens set (28-80mm Mini Zoom Macro Lens and a 70-300mm Super Zoom Macro Lens)for $119.

2. Tokina 2-lens set (
100-400mm Autofocus Zoom and 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Zoom) for $140.

Any thoughts on which way to go? Certainly cheaper to get the body only plus either the Sigma or Tokina lenses...but what about quality? How do those compare to the 18-55 Pentax lens?

Thanks (in advance) for your input. I'm REALLY close to pulling the trigger.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 7:47 PM   #5

not sure about less expensive sigma but this was taken with th 70-300APO..

also my af400ftz works great in TTL mode once you get use to it. this shot was taken with the 400ftz and the sigma at about 40'-50'.. i think the flash will reach to about 80' with this lens's min. ap. of f4.5..

the two lens sigma deal would at least give you some experince and will let you decide on some primes in the future depending on what you are mainly shoting. also the kit lens is hands down a nice lens.

Old Oct 18, 2005, 12:36 AM   #6

Gecko85 wrote:
Quote:
Ok, updated question:

I'm now deciding between the DS with 18-55 kit lens, or body only and buying a different lens. I can get the DS with 18-55 lens for $799 (locally). Or, I can get the body only for $579 (dbuys.com). I've found a couple different lens bundles on ebay, but don't know anything about them:

1: Sigma 2-lens set (28-80mm Mini Zoom Macro Lens and a 70-300mm Super Zoom Macro Lens)for $119.

2. Tokina 2-lens set (
100-400mm Autofocus Zoom and 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Zoom) for $140.

Any thoughts on which way to go? Certainly cheaper to get the body only plus either the Sigma or Tokina lenses...but what about quality? How do those compare to the 18-55 Pentax lens?

Thanks (in advance) for your input. I'm REALLY close to pulling the trigger.
I think there is a fairly significant difference between the Sigma Lens that robar used for his photo, and the one you are considering. His is an APO lens, much more expensive. I was just like you, bought the body only, and got the same Sigma 2 lens set. I sold it about 3 weeks later, for I learned they are very basic, consumer lenses that will give you good results, but only good. I believe that set of Tokina lenses will be about the same. I went the route of picking up several other lenses which were higher quality, but more money, without breaking the bank, and have been very happy with them. The Tokina AT-X 19-35mm has been superb (about $120 on eBay) and the newer Pentax DA 50-200 (about $250 at Amazon) has also been great. I also picked up a Tokina AT-X 100-300mm lens. It is sharp as a tack, but manual focus only (has auto aperture, however). Recently I have been picking up some used screwmount lenses - a couple of Pentax's, a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm and 135mm. The older glass is wonderful, and the portraiture with the Zeiss's are hard to beat. I also picked up a couple of Russian lenses - a Jupiter 85mm (very soft until you hit f4.0, then very sharp) and a Zenitar 16mm fisheye lens, both in M42 mount. One of my favorites, however, has been an old Spiratone 135mm screwmount lens. It takes gorgeous photos, as well as a Super Takumar 135mm screwmount I got from B&H used for $35.

I think the real strength of this *ist DS is not only top-notch quality, great feel, wonderful viewfinder, and pretty good high ISO photos, but the availability of these older, quality lenses out there. I have not regretted for one moment my decision to go with Pentax.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:54 PM   #7

Thanks again for all your replies. All were very helpful.

I've given it a LOT of thought, and while I love the easy availability of quality used lenses, and the great battery system (run out of juice? Just add some off-the-shelf AA's), I finally settled on the Konica Minolta 5D.

It was VERY close between the *ist DS and the KM 5D. From all the sample shots I looked at for both cameras, as well as all the reviews, I had them neck and neck as far as picture quality. While I loved the afore-mentioned features (lenses, batteries) of the DS, what put the 5D over the top was the built-in image stabilization. All the reviews (both official and user reviews) have raved about the image stabilization. It makes every lens that much better. It allows you to go 2 stops lower without a tripod. I'm an amateur/hobbyist, so will be shooting mostly hand held. I think the image stabilization outwheighs the lens and battery advantage of the DS.

I honestly believe I could have gone either way and been perfectly happy. Both are excellent cameras.

Also, while I was at Fry's last night, they had the *ist DS with kit lens on sale for $699. It's an in-store sale, so is not available on their website (outpost.com), but that's not surprising. The website only has a fraction of what's available in store, and they regularly get the ads wrong...)