Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2003, 2:31 AM   #1

Default Pentax digital SLR or lenses

Does anyone know of any digital SLR's that use pentax lenses? When is Pentax going to come out with it's own Digital slr?

I own a 35mm pentax zx-5n and would like to stick with Pentax, since I've been happy with the camera for a long time and also own numerous pentax lenses.
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:39 AM   #2
pod

We're in the same boat...got a ZX-5n myself that I've used for like 3 years now...had an ME Super before that, and a K-1000 when I was a photo major.

Image from Steve.

There's a press release on this site too...

Bascially it's a 6 MP digital SLR and should take all existing Pentax glass, and their medium format glass with an adapter...

I like it cause it's gonna be a small unit and my current gripe is that current DSLRs are all a bit too hefty. In a previous age I'd be the PJ in the field with a Leica
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:44 PM   #3

At least Pentax is going to let it's past customers keep their lens investment. Olympus left all us OM-system users hanging out to dry.

I can't wait to see how the *ist-D compares with the Canon 10D. If the picture quality is anywhere near what that camera is producing, I'll never stray from Pentax again!
egarrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 12:44 PM   #4

Do you know if the D*ist will allow the use of manual focus lenses like the old SMC-A and SMC-M K-mount lenses? =)
jermng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:05 PM   #5

I just got the Pentax *istD two days ago - and it will accept my old K-mount lenses (from my K-1000) with extreme limitations. I can take fully-manual photos but have to guess at aperture - the first few were trial and error but I am getting the hang of it. The camera will function in some manual modes if you tweak the settings and even then, the aperture settings are "dashed out." I ordered two KAF lenses so hopefully all the features will work now. If not, it will be too late to return the camera, if those features are functioning improperly.

I really like the camera but chose this one (among many reasons) so I would not have to buy new lenses. That flew out the window!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 5:05 PM   #6

There is no need to guess the exposure. You need to go immediately to Pentax's web site and download the firmware v1.1 update. Once updated, the *istd can stop down the lens (i.e. dof preview) and calculate the correct shutter speed (for true aperture priority). This is done by pressing the green button with the camera in manual mode and the "Aperature other than A" in the custom settings turned on.

The proceedure is detailed with the firmware instructions. You will be very impressed with the enhanced capability and enjoy using those older lenses.

Perry.
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 6:55 PM   #7

Thank you - yes, I did that earlier today, and you are right - much better! I almost don't need the newer lenses now! (I ordered them so I will use them, esp. when I don't have time to set everything myself to get a good candid shot. But should the aperture be constantly at "F--"? I assume so, since none of my lenses are giving the camera their information, other than the light reaching the plate for the shutter speed, right? So with this firmware update and my old K-lenses, I can fully utilize the M setting on the mode dial (if I press the "green button" - but still nothing with the green mode setting, P, Tv, Av, right (unless I want to keep guessing)? I'm not getting any kind of F reading at all, not even at what aperture I should manually set my "non-A" lens, even in M. Does that sound right, or does it sound like my camera needs to go back? I guess I expected the camera to suggest an "F" setting even if it couldn't set it for me since my lenses weren't A.

Please forgive my ignorance - I graduated from a liberal arts college, Visual Communications, photography emphasis, in 1990 - bought myself a K-1000 when I was twelve (my first big expense, and $119 seemed like a fortune!) and have done nothing with any other "real" camera since. I inherited a "happy snap" Kodak 1MP camera from my mom when she upgraded and used it to pass on information of the life I live apart from my family spread in different states - but I miss the creativity. I finally pulled out my K-1000 last September for a trip to New England and decided I have really been missing out on ART. So I am more than a little rusty. Please bear with me! :lol: I sure do appreciate any help and advice!
Old Feb 28, 2004, 8:14 PM   #8

>Thank you - yes, I did that earlier today, and you are right - much better! I almost don't need the newer lenses now!

Hey I understand all too well about buying new lenses. Since I bought my *istD I have added 6 to my collection. I too thought that the two lenses I had from my film days would be enough.... :shock:

>But should the aperture be constantly at "F--"?

Yes. Here is what you must do to use non-A lenses. The camera must be in M mode. No other mode works correctly. The custom setting for "Aperture other than A" must be set on. The aperture is set by the lens ring. This is basically aperture priority as on your old manual camera. You must choose this value first. The camera will never know this setting because there are no electric contacts that the "A" lens' have. But that does not matter since the camera only has to calculate the shutter speed.
When you push the green button the camera closes down the aperture to what you set (by the ring) and meters the exposure and sets the shutter speed. This shutter speed is remembered by the camera and when you hit the shutter release the exposure should be correct. The camera keeps this shutter speed until you either hit the green button again or change the value with the TV dial. If you are in constant lighting the exposure should not change so you do not have to hit the green button for each exposure. With a little practice this all become second nature.

Let me know if you have any other questions about your *istD. It is a great little camera. I love mine

Perry.
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 5:14 AM   #9

Thank you! I was hoping this was the case but the science of not only digital SLR but also autoprogramming is new to me (I chose the K-1000 so I would LEARN how to work the design/light/etc., not the camera itself).
Old Aug 30, 2004, 5:43 PM   #10

HI

Just reviving this old topic because I find myself in an interesting dilemma. I currently own two 35mm SLR systems:

System1, Older K mount Pentax:

Two bodies, KX and K1000, lenses include a 50mm f/1.7 M series SMC Pentax, a 28mm f/2.8 Rikenon XR, a 135mm f/2.8 Rikenon XR, a 28-80mm Takumar A zoom f/3.5-4.5, a Sears 80-200mm f/4 macro zoom (K mount) and a Sears 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom (KA mount) Note that only the two lowest quality zooms have an A setting.

System 2, First series Minolta Maxxum:

Two Maxxum 7000 bodies, lenses include Phoenix 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom, Maxxum 35-70mm f/4 zoom, Maxxum 50mm f/1.7, Maxxum 70-210mm f/4 zoom, Early series dedicated flash units (not fully functional on the later Maxxum proprietary shoe, requires adapter)

a Phoenix T-mount 500mm mirror lens and a T-mount slide copier attachment (can be used with both systems sinse I have both T-mounts)

As you can see the Minolta system is far more modern, and complete. What advantages does the *istD hold that you feel would be strong enough to keep me from waiting for the Maxxum Digital 7?

I am still quite a few dollars away from a purchase so I am just looking for opinions right now.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote