Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:20 AM   #1

Would like to ask:
1. What's the major difference between *ist DL and *istDs?
2. How's the kit lens?Good quality?What's the focal range and aperture?

Thanks.
k_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:48 AM   #2

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...l&show=all

Kitlens is fine.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:41 PM   #3

The side-by-side comparison doesn't tell the whole story. Here are some other differences:

DL uses mirrors instead of a prism for the viewfinder. Prism is considered better.

DL has 3 point auto-focus. DS has 11 point auto focus.

DL does 3 RAW/5 JPG in burst mode. DS does 5 RAW/8 JPG.

I've also heard mention of a lack of high speed flash synch (or something) on the DL, but can't find where I originally read it...

Also, just an FYI: I was in Fry's last night, and they had the *ist DS on sale (in-store only, not on the outpost.com website) for $699 with the kit lens. That's a GREAT price! Fry's changes their specials often, though, so act fast (if you have one in your area.)
Gecko85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:14 PM   #4

I could buy onefor around $660, since the DL and DS are the same price, so I would like to know which one should I get?
k_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:07 PM   #5

I would get the DS...Particularly for the same price.

k_240sx wrote:
Quote:
I could buy onefor around $660, since the DL and DS are the same price, so I would like to know which one should I get?
Gecko85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:13 PM   #6

I'd go with the DS, the only advantages of the DL are the larger LCD and better jpg processing (a non-issue if you shoot RAW, and no big deal if you don't). The real prism finder of the DSgives it a much brighter and sharper viewfinder.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:24 AM   #7

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I'd go with the DS, the only advantages of the DL are the larger LCD and better jpg processing (a non-issue if you shoot RAW, and no big deal if you don't). The real prism finder of the DSgives it a much brighter and sharper viewfinder.

Ira

Two remarks:

1.) The DL-LCD is larger, but has the same resoulution as the DS - so, not too much sense

2.) Very important (for me) difference is: The DS has interchangable screens, the DL has a fixed screen (I don't want to miss my split-screen ......)
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 7:10 AM   #8

tekade_alfred Where can you get a split screen for the DS? I assume you mean one with a manual focus aid split prism centre spot??? One of these would definitely clench it for me. I am one of those bizzare characters whois interested in Pentax, Konoca/Minolta and Olympus and not with the big two.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:17 AM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
tekade_alfred Where can you get a split screen for the DS? I assume you mean one with a manual focus aid split prism centre spot??? One of these would definitely clench it for me. I am one of those bizzare characters whois interested in Pentax, Konoca/Minolta and Olympus and not with the big two.

Ira
Hi Ira,

we (tekade.de) produced those screens, but they are not longer available ... too late, sorry :sad:

Maybe we start again with if the next pentax DSLR has a interchangable screen.... but that's not sure!

(in the moment we only have subshutter-grips and electronic angle-finder as "specials")

tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote