Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:29 PM   #1

I just came back from holidays and the DS really annoyed me during the time.
The problem is with shutter-release button and auto-focusing. When I got focus on a foreground object (by pressing the shutter release halfway) and hearing the beep, and then moved and recomposed the camera so that I can shoot with the background (but still focused on the foreground object), when I take the shot, the camera then refocuses on the background scenery leaving the foreground blurred. This was so annoying!!!! It happened no matter whether I was on the Green Mode, Smiley Face, Landscape, Portrait, Moving Object. As long as it was on Autofocus (AF) this problem happened.
Page 125-126 of the manual even talks about how you can re-compose a shot.
I've cleaned the contacts and reset all custom settings but still no go.
I resorted to having my left thumb on the MF/AF switch so that if it happened, I'd get focus on the foreground again and then flick it to MF mode. I also resorted to using the OK button to focus and had no proglems taking the shot once I re-orientated.
However, the problem of "re-focusing" when it shouldn't should not even be an issue with Pentax. What's wrong with this camera!!??!! I upgraded the firmware to 1.02 months ago. Is there a problem with this firmware ?? Is there a problem with the shutter button ??
I've also got a Pentax DL and it doesn't show these problems. I've even changed lenses between the DS and DL (they both use Sigma 18-125mm) but it still shows the problem on the DS and not on the DL.
The other problem is that all the time on low light it hesitates to take a shot when I want it to. It takes the shot say a second later which is too late by then.
On Manual Focus (MF) I've seen no problems....only these two problems with AF.
I was using Energiser CRV3s...new ones too. Your advise and comments welcome.
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2

I'm sorry but this is the first time I've heard of this problem with the Ds. I never use any of the preset shooting modes(only shoot M,Av,Tv)and I've had no problem with getting focus lock and recomposing (while keeping at half press). After I first read this post, I immediately got out and tried shooting with all the preset modes. Aside from the action mode with it's continuous autofocus, I'm not experiencing any of the problems you are.

So I suggest you email Pentax regarding this or turn in your camera for servicing. Hope nothing is seriously wrong.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:44 AM   #3

I appreciate your feedback Nols. Cheers.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:34 PM   #4

The only mode that will re-focus when composition changes is moving object mode.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:14 AM   #5

Hi errno, the problems both occur when it's on the Green Mode, P Mode, Av/Tv, Smiley Face, Portrait, Macro, Night, and Action. It doesn't perform like the action because when I recompose, it maintains the original focus until the very moment when I want to take the shot and press the shutter-release all the way that it re-focuses to whatever the centre focus point is pointing to.

Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:15 AM   #6

Just curious, how long are you waiting to recompose the shot?

Do you have any custom settings set?

I just tested my DS then, and the only modes it will re-AF in are the sports mode.

The AUTO PICT mode may also do it as it chooses which mode out of all of them is most suitable- meaning it may be running in sports mode.

Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:42 PM   #7

errno, as soon as I get focus lock on the foreground, recompose and press the button, and that's when it re-focuses. It doesn't take more than a second between when I get focus on the foreground to when I press the shutter-release all the way.

Custom settings are all on default (1). The only thing that is set by me is the center-focus.

I'm taking the camera back to Pentax on Monday. I've searched the net for solutions to this, but it seems there's definitely a problem with my DS.

Thanks for the feedback to yourself and Nols...much appreciated.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:52 PM   #8

Wait.. you said you focus, recompose and then press the button again? Could you explain exactly what you are doing here?

When you half-press to focus, keep that half-press when you recompose the shot, dont let go. Once you have the shot re-done, then fullpress and the picture will be taken.

If you focus, let go completely, then press again, the camera will nolonger have AF locked and will not let you take apicutre without first focusing again.

Old Oct 22, 2005, 1:52 PM   #9

I also just tried this with my DS and it seems to work fine except in sports mode...you must be @ some point releasing the shutter....* if not I am @ a loss
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:15 AM   #10

That's the gist of the problem errno....I've got my finger pressed half-way and I've got focus-lock when I recompose. I don't let go on the button. It's once I've recomposed and press the shutter fully does the camera then re-focus when it shouldn't.

I took the camera today to CR Kennedy in Sydney and even the guy who inspected it was baffled why it was doing that. The camera's been sent off for repairs now. I'll advise what the problem was.