Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:59 PM   #1

This has been a headache but has helped to get to know the camera.....

First, I thought that flash shots with the built-in flash were a tiny bit dark, similar to my Optio 550. So I hooked up my old AF400FTZ and found they were even darker... under idential light conditions the camera was setting the aperature differently.

So I changed the lens from the Sigma 18-50mm to my Pentax-F 50mm. Again, everything changed, but this time with the 400FTZ the photos were very bright....

Getting cranky, I went out and bought some film --- yes film--- a roll of 200ASA and 400ASA, and then loaded up by old SF1. I took a series of identical shots around the house with the DS2 and SF1, then went and got them developed.

The SF1 shots were bright but the colours were washed out. The DS2 shots were darker but the colours were truer, and when passed through Photshop Elements really came alive. The attached file is the untouched DS2 photo.

(continued in reply....)

Attached Images

Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2005, 3:02 PM   #2

The photo attached here is the SF1 film put to a CD at Costco.....

So, then my daughter showed up with my Pentax-F 35-70mm and 70-210mm.

With these, the internal flash gave different results than with the Sigma digital lens. And, the AF400FTZ gave great results with them.

It seems that when the old lens is matched to the old flash, all works well.

I'll keep fiddling....

Regards, Rich
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2005, 3:04 PM   #3

This is the DS2 shot with the levels adjusted in Photoshop Elements....
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:27 PM   #4

rich,

i don't know what to tell you. have you tried shooting in raw?? it's the only res i shoot in. once you get use to it it's no problem.. if your exposure is off a little then just change it.. you can also combine 2 different exposures, one for shadows, one for the highlites of the the same image and get great results.. i believe PSE3 has this ability..

roy
Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:29 PM   #5

forgot to say i've gotten some remarkable shots w/the 400ftz..
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:51 PM   #6

Hi Roy;

I've shot in RAW, but the DS2 isn't yet supported by Adobe. I'm being slapped around over on the Adobe forum because I suggested Adobe might want to work a bit faster......

Also, I suspect that the jpeg processing is better on the DS2 than the DS..... that's just a guess at this point.....

Rich
Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:00 AM   #7

Bibble 4 supports Pentax Raw......
daveinozbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 3:46 AM   #8

Is the DS2 RAW format different than the DS? If not (and I doubt it is) then Adobe works just fine. I use it all the time!

There is a plug-in downloadable from the Adobe site (which been available for at LEAST 6 months or more) that does Pentax RAW with the DS for both Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Elements.

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:10 AM   #9

The Adobe converter (Raw to DNG) and Photoshop specifically look for the camera type, even if the formats are otherwise identical. So the DS2 is not recognized.

Some smart fellow on the Adobe forum used a hex editor, opened a DS2 raw file, replcaed the "2" with a blank, and all worked fine. Until Adobe gets around to it, I will be using the software that came with my DS2.

BTW, I suspect that the jpeg image processing on the DS2 has been upgraded. The jpegs that come out of the camera and those that come from the Pentax PhotoLab converter both look great.

And, I've followed your other thread about sports shots. This is not just a Pentax problem. It will follow you in one degree or another no matter what camera (SLR or DSLR) you purchase.

Regards, Rich
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:00 PM   #10

I have th DL and haven been able to use CS2 until this week, 3.3 plugin beta just came out, dont know if it works for DS2. Havent tested it very much just downloaded the plugin tonight from adobe

Seems like Pentax keeps changes the raw fromat from model to model
MikieP67 is offline   Reply With Quote