Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:10 PM   #1

I have my eye on a Takumar 50mm f1.4 screwmount lens for my istDS. Can someone tell me if the in-camera metering will work with these older screwmount lenses? I'mfairly new to SLR photographybut I'mlooking forward to getting into more of the manual end of things. Ifanyone with more experiencehas any other bits of info or tips in this regard, that would be great. Thanks for your help!!!
PhotoMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:04 AM   #2

If the Aperture ring has an "A" on it the camera will meter exposure...you have to go to the menu and alter a couple of things (manual?) Actually the manual has quite a bit to say on the subject....*
daveinozbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:37 AM   #3

Yes they will work but only in full manual meterint mode.

Because there is no physical connection to the apeture mechanism you must use stop down metering (Ie manually close the apteure of the lens ) and operate th edepth of field preview position on the shutter switch.

This will display a metering display at the bottom right corener of the viewfinder.

As Dace.. says it is all in the manual but itis not always obvious and the apeture menu option has to be changed.

The only real drawback is the reduced amount of light from the reduced apeture of the lens may make (manual) focusing slightly harder.

I tend to focus then do the metering first.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 6:06 AM   #4

go a takumar 55mm f/1.8 M42 screwmount

I set the ist DS to A mode, the lens to M mode. I set the aperture on the lens, then just shoot. No need to bother with DOF switch! The camera meters real time and set the right speed.

I use M mode only when using my old flash (non TTL)

you have access to spot and central average metering modes, not to the standard matrix one. focus confirmation is not very reliable imho.

Note that I use a +1.7 EV correction with that lens.

rmotfage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:46 AM   #5

Cool. Thanks for the help!!

Marc
PhotoMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:39 PM   #6

i'm reading two different things here.

do the screw mt. lenses automatically shut down the aperture when the shutter is released or do you have to use the lens in stopped down mode??
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:22 PM   #7

No it is the same thing buit two slightly different approches.

In both cases the lens is set to manual mode, mneanig it is stopped down to rquired apeture before you start shooting. There is no mechanical connection between the lens and the camera mount.

rmotfage rightly points out that you do not need to use full manual operation but that the camera will meter during the shot from the fixed apeture and adjust shuter speed accordingly.

Although I have always operated in the fully manual mode I just tried rmotfage's method and full manual in different lighting situations and got teh same result.

But the key is that in both methods the lens is stopped down before you take the photo.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote