Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 3, 2005, 8:00 AM   #1

Hello all;

With my DS2, I got about 200 shots with a fresh set of 2500mAh Energizer rechareables. Probably more than half used the flash.

I thought this was a bit low (about 1/2?) compared to the guide given in the DS2 manual.

Does anyone else have any experience to share?

Thanks, Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:33 AM   #2

There are lots of threads about battery usage. Everyone gets different results with different brands.

I use 2400 NiMH batteries in my DS (not the DS2) and I will get so many shots I lose track of how many i have taken. Id say close to 1000.

It all depends on how you use the camera. If you are endlessly viewing the LCD screen for each picture, its going to suck the batteries dry.

Heavy use of autofocus will also put strain on the batteries, as well as long exposures (10-30 seconds for example).

I tend to never use the built in flash. Its pretty useless for what you'd want to use it for, and it uses the batteries - get a half decent flashgun for the hotshoe, its worth it. Id probably only use the built in flash for simple fill, thats about it.

Ill put a fresh charged set of batteries in, note the P number and see how many shots I get. Ill let them run completely dry.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:31 PM   #3

i normally get around 400, 1/2 flash.

about an external flash. be VERY sure that it's firing cahage voltage is less than 10 volts. 5 is better. get a volt meter, charge the flash, and test the voltage at the flash shoe. this is all OFF camera..
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:09 PM   #4

Or just ask your camera store whether or not a flash will be suitable for use
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:39 AM   #5
KVP

Hi Rich,

I can only speak for my *istDS but I learned that letting the charger do his trickle charge at the end wasimportant too. I must admit I was used to switch off the charger once the ledchanged togreen.Result: about 100 pictures with 1 set. Now Ieasily go up to 500.

Regards, Conrad.
KVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:55 AM   #6

Yo Robar, does the owners manual state that flash trigger voltage must not exceed 10 volts? The reason I ask is because I hope to be ordering a DS2 soon and I alreadyhave a Vivatar 285 flash that I want to use with the DS2. I checked the trigger voltage on the 285, with two differant meters, and the trigger voltage on my 285 is right at 12 volts.

S`later, JH
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:03 AM   #7

>robar wrote

>about an external flash. be VERY sure that it's firing cahage voltage is less than >10 volts. 5 is better. get a volt meter, charge the flash, and test the voltage >at the flash shoe. this is all OFF camera..

Maximum trigger-voltage for pentax is 30V

The trigger-voltage of many flashes : http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

and a voltage-regulator is here:

http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/blitzhilfe/

It's in german, but easy to understand (diagram) if there are problems I can translate

tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:05 AM   #8

With 2000mAh uniross I get (50% flash) appr 450 pictures.

But remember: new batteries need 5-10 cycles to reach their real capacity!
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 4:53 PM   #9

tekade_alfred wrote:
Quote:
>robar wrote

>about an external flash. be VERY sure that it's firing cahage voltage is less than >10 volts. 5 is better. get a volt meter, charge the flash, and test the voltage >at the flash shoe. this is all OFF camera..

Maximum trigger-voltage for pentax is 30V

The trigger-voltage of many flashes : http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

and a voltage-regulator is here:

http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/blitzhilfe/
Quote:
the bot zilla site is excellent..

It's in german, but easy to understand (diagram) if there are problems I can translate

Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:19 PM   #10

Thanks everybody,

I did remove the brand new batteries the moment the light tuned green, so that may explain it.

Just a moment ago I won an eBay auction for the AF360FGZ, and got it for $80 less than Canadian list. Nothing to do with batteries but I am VERY happy at the price.

Rich

Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote