Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:07 AM   #1

Hi Pentax users,

I'm looking new DSLR cameraw/ outstanding performer for taking photographsin lowlight situation. After considering technical specification & many comments I tend to choose Pentax ist* DS2 over others brand name, but I was sodisappoints over the results after watching sample photographs from Pentax ist* DS from Steve's review at high ISO 1600& higher setting. These samples look so grainy & lost of so many details compare w/ Canon EOS XT at the same setting (ISO 1600). Although these samples looks so soft like too much in-camera noise reduction software applied on these images. However I believe we will have slightly different results when we have change to process photographs from the RAW format. I'm in the situation idleness, undecided to choose between these two cameras. Does anyone have other opinions or there are some uncovered issues on my thoughts?

Best regards,

Rtogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:33 AM   #2

Hi,

Although not low light photography, I took a series of test photos of the buildings outside my house at ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600 and 3200 using a Pentax *ist DS and had them printed out at 12x8 inches.

Even when looking very close you can barely see any difference at all between ISO 200 - 800. ISO 1600 looks a little more noisy, but you have to get very close to see the difference. The only one which looked substansially noiser was ISO 3200. However, if you hung them on a wall, and were a couple of feet away, it would be very difficult for someone to spot any difference between the prints.

Obviously there will be more noise with night photography, but my point is that there is often a big difference between how noisy something appears on screen and how noisy it is when printed out. I really couldn't believe how close the ISO 200 and ISO 1600 prints were, considering how different they looked on screen.

Cheers,

Edward

http://photos.edgladwin.com/
ejgladwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 3:38 PM   #3

I havent had a problem with the *ist DS in low-light situations. I shoot high school football, at ISO 1600. I have had some of these pictures blown up to 11x14, and the noise isnt bad at all. I've attached a small version of one of my pictures with the DS.

EDIT: The picture below was actually taken at ISO 3200!

Attached Images

Ironman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 4:45 PM   #4

i also have found that high iso images from the ist are quite acceptable. pentax is not a name that's thrown around that much as the others are. BUT it performs as good and usually better than the others. plus you have 40 years of lenses to use. here's a raw shot at iso 3200. i only shoot in raw if it's for me.. one thing i have noticed is at 3200 you want the exposure on the money because altering it will bring on the noise.
Attached Images

Old Nov 4, 2005, 4:48 PM   #5

ironman,
your exif info does not come up. i usually save the original instead of a copy to retain it.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 4:48 PM   #6

ironman,
your exif info does not come up. i usually save the original instead of a copy to retain it.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 12:13 AM   #7

Heres the data from the picture for you, which was actually shot at ISO 3200:

ISO 3200
70mm
1/250sec
F3.5
Manual Exposure
Center-Weighted Metering
Auto White Balance
Exposure Comp 0.0
Ironman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:34 AM   #8

You will be disappointed with any camera with ISO1600+. Noise at such high sensitivity is unavoidable, its the same as using a high speed film, you get alot of grain.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:57 AM   #9

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
You will be disappointed with any camera with ISO1600+. Noise at such high sensitivity is unavoidable, its the same as using a high speed film, you get alot of grain.
i've been quite pleased with the ist at 1600..
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:17 AM   #10

I've been very pleased with it at 1600 and even 3200. I think how pleased or disappointed you are will depend on how realistic your expectations are

If you want really high ISOs with virtually no noise you're gonna have to spend a few thousand on a high end Canon model or something like that. You can't expect the cheaper prosumer models to match them.

It definitely helps to shoot in RAW and convert with something like RawShooter Essentials. JPEG straight from the camera does tend to come out noisier I think.

But like I said before, depending on the subject, you can easily get 8x12 inch prints at ISO 1600 with very little noticable noise from a Pentax *ist DS.

Edward - http://photos.edgladwin.com/
ejgladwin is offline   Reply With Quote