Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:37 AM   #1

Here in the UK the all-black *ist DL body costs more than the black/silver one (approx. £40 more). is there a convincing reason for this, or is it simply a case of Pentax cashing-in on the probability that the all-black body will be the preferred choice for most people? Why would production costs be higher for the all-black body?
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:22 PM   #2

you are probably right.. the blk bodies have pretty much always been higher. IME
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:31 PM   #3

Many years ago, when SLR bodies were all metallic, black finish was more expensive than silver one. But, with the use of plastic, I don't think there is much difference. In the specific case of the DL, they are usually at the same price in France, andI even saw a site (Pixmania) where silver was more expensive than black.
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:06 PM   #4

Thanks all for the replies. As it's not consistent (the price difference) it seems like pentax shouldn't take all the blame -- the retailers must be 'cashing in' on this 'black costs more' scam as well. For all we know, they probably get both at the same list price. personally I think it's outrageous whoever is to blame.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:14 PM   #5

it really started in the past. the blk models were considered ''professional'' models
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:44 PM   #6

And the silver-coloured ones for for snapshooters and tourists no doubt! A strange world we live in. Thanks all again. Topic closed (as far am I'm concerned anyhow).
Old Nov 6, 2005, 7:38 PM   #7

Hah, yeh, although in the case of the DS the silver model came out AFTER the black model. I dont see why either should be more expensive than the other, black I agree does look more professional but they both perform the same as one another.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:01 PM   #8

Deleted