Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:49 PM   #1

Hi, I'm new to theSLR camera world, and recently bought a Pentax *ist DS body and 18-55mm lenscombo. I'm very happy with it so far, and have learned a lot about photography from lurking on this board. Now I'm ready to buy a zoom lens to compliment the default 18-55mm lens, but I really don't know what to look for.

According to the review, this camera is compatible with Pentax K, KA, KAF, and KAF2 mount lenses; screw mount lenses, 645, and 67 series lenses (adapter required)

Can somebody explainwhat mountis better, and what the differences are? What should I be looking for in a beginner-grade zoom lens?

Thanks a lot, mutty
mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:25 PM   #2

mutty
i know a number of people , including myself, that went w/the sigma 70-300mm. there's 3 versions of this lens. the non-APO, the DL, and the APO. you can get the non and the DL for around $100us or the APO for around $180. tamron and sigma also offer 2 lens sets for around $129. my APO has given me many great images. all of the above also offer macro at 1:2 ratio from about 3' distance.. i recently sold a prospec(made by sigma) 75-300mm that was sharper than the APO in all ranges but only offered macro at a 1:4 ratio. hope this helps.

roy
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:13 PM   #3

Mutty, welcome to the world of Pentax DSLR - you'll be pleased, and one of the reasons is that there is so many choices available to you.

Robar gave some good advice. One of the things to remember, however, that zoom lenses are a trade-off is some regards. They do everything in their range well, but in general not as sharp as a set of prime lenses. There are trade offs with each approach, and much of it has to do with what kind of photography you want to do, and for what purpose. I have some primes and some zooms, and love the flexibility of the zooms, but use the primes for specific things like nature/animals, portrait work, etc. I recently sold a Sigma 150-500mm I had because throughout it took very good pictures, but not often great pictures.

The beauty of Pentax is that you have a whole world of possibilities out there. With adapters, there are myriads of pretty good M42 (screwmount) lenses available on eBay. Let me share just a couple of things I have learned with my lenses.

1) As far as zooms go, I love my Pentax DA 50-200, (very light, very quick AF), Pentax 28-105, both FA (autofocus) and A (Manual Focus). I also love my Tokina AT-X 100-300 Manual focus lens. I also have gotten some great shots with my Tokina 19-35mm AT-X AF. I have found that the images I get with Tokina lenses tend to be slightly underexposed, but very rich. I also have 2 Kiron zoom lenses, and against my better judgment, am telling you that they are among the best both optically and mechanically. Because they aren't one of the big lens makers, they often get overlooked and lumped in with some of the cheaper consumer lenses, but results and reviews on Kiron's are universally positive. Just don't tell anyone that little secret, OK?

2) In terms of primes, my favorites are my Super Takumar 85mm, my Sigma 105mm Macro autofocus, and a couple of German and Russian lenses, (anything by Carl Zeiss Jena) and the Russian being the Zenitar 18mm fisheye lens. My big old Pentax 400mm M42 lens also does a wonderful job.

I find myself increasing using the manual focus lenses, because of the control and the feel associated with setting aperture, focus, etc. When taking shots of the grandbabies, the AF lenses come out so I can pop pop pop with little delay.

Enjoy your upcoming experiences, and I hope these comments help.

nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:55 AM   #4

I have the 28-105 and the Sigma 70-300 Apo MAcro Super. For an all-around walk-about, I'd suggest the 28-105 but as a match to the 18-55mm, then I've have to go with the DA 50-200mm. This lens is light for it's zoom range and the sample pics I've seen are really very good.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 4:09 AM   #5

mutty wrote:
Quote:
According to the review, this camera is compatible with Pentax K, KA, KAF, and KAF2 mount lenses; screw mount lenses, 645, and 67 series lenses (adapter required)

Can somebody explainwhat mountis better, and what the differences are? What should I be looking for in a beginner-grade zoom lens?
Hi mutty, welcome!

You'll find informations on pentax & k-mounts on this site:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/technology/index.html#general

kmp is one of the best info-sources for anything around pentax (It's a german site, but everything is written in english)

In general you can use any GOOD lens on a pentax-DSLR - but the older ones only in manual modes.

tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:43 PM   #6

Well, I bought a two-lens Sigma set which came with a 28-80 and 70-300.

Haven't had loads of time to play yet, but I'm happy with them so far... Thanks for the replies everyone! -mutty
mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:42 PM   #7

There are polishing compounds that may work to clear it up. I've used Simichrome with good luck to remove scratches from plastic watch "crystals". I'm not sure how it would work on the LCD, though.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:19 AM   #8

I went for the Tamron 70-300 Macro, well built and a bit heavy, but produces nice shots. The full number is AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:45 PM   #9

Whilst I am sure that there is always a trade off with lenses I would none the less mention a lens i use particularily when walking. i am walking the South West Coastal Path in the UK. It involves me in 15 mile walks + bike riding to get back to my car. Weight and convenience on these trips are paramount.¬*Also in bad weather I am worried about lens changing because of getting dust / dirt on the sensor.¬*So for this I have a Sigma 18-200 ( equiv 28-300 in 35mm terms). This is not¬* quite as crisp as other lenses with some pincushioning but none the less it is fantastically convenient.¬*¬*I am also thinking of getting eiother the new pentax 12-24 lens .. which would be great but expensive. the other possibility is the Sigma 12-24 ... which is fullframe so would also work on any old Pentax 35mm cameras.¬*¬*Happy times¬*¬*Tom¬*
tombell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:09 AM   #10

Hi nznhut,
since you have both the DA50-200 and the FA28-105 (I presume the f3.2-4.5 one),
could you comment on how they compare over the overlapping range (50-100), especially wide open and around 70-100.
I would expect the DA50-200 to be better since it is optimized for APS sensors.
Is that so? How about bokeh wide open?
Thanks
jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote