Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:08 PM   #11

ellen,
i've got a smc-m, 100mm, f4. i bought it in '78. it gives great results but only at 1:2 ratio. MAX dof closed down to f32 is about an inch. the best quality is around f16 that gives about 3/4''. you will get either speed or DOF, but you will not get both.

ck. out ebay for the sigma 105,f2.8. it's a fantastic lens and is available for around $270usd.

the reversed 50mm has VERY little DOF and is rather hard to use as you have to be so close to the subject.

Old Nov 25, 2005, 2:03 PM   #12

thanks for the reply. i was looking at the sigma. i was considering using a 50mm instead of the 100mm but i understand that the dof is less with the 50mm plus some people have a lens shadow problem with the closer focusing range.

i have also been looking at the pentax lenses for 35mm cameras in hopes of getting a less expensive lens. however, i don't think i will be able to beat the sigma price. i have forgotten so much of my college photography classes!

thanks, again.

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 6:31 PM   #13

ellen,
i can't afford the sigma presently, well i can't justify it.. the sigma macro is as fine of glass as any out there. i also talking the older lens not the new made for digital. it will be the one i get.. there are listings on ebay ALL the time for pentax's 100mm, f2.8 macro. it's also a fine piece of glass. sells for around 200-300 at auction.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 4:37 PM   #14

now i'm confused . . . which will give a better dof, the 50mm macro lens or 100mm? i'm understanding that the dof is better with the 50mm which is appreciably cheaper than a 100mm.

i need at least 2" dof.

regarding my existing 50mm lens . . . it is a manual lens and is not recommended for use with the ds. i guess i'll have to see if it will work with the reversing ring.

tia

ellen
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:29 AM   #15

I've recently bought the *istDS and I'm in the process of learning how to use it. Yesterday evening I tried some macro with my Pentax SMC-M 100mm f4 macro, an old pre-"A"-setting lens that I think you can find on e-bay and other sites fairly cheap. It is an outstanding lens as a lot of older Pentax stuff, and it worked perfectly with the *istDS, set to the "permitted" in "Using aperture ring" in "Custom settings" underthe menue. But... since I did my lesson at night I had to rely on the light from the 60W lampover the kitchen table and found that exposure is OK with large apertures but when I used the small apertures and got long shutter time (1 sec or more) the shots were very underexposed when I trusted the cameras metering and recommendations. Is this something one should expect and learn to deal with?:roll:
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote