Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2005, 2:59 PM   #1

i will need a macro lens for close-ups of my orchids. what do i need to look for?

is 1:1 the best ratio? i have a 50mm that is 1:3.9. what does this mean exactly?

tia

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:23 PM   #2

ellen,

until you get the macro 1:1, yes it's best, you can get a reversing ring for your 50mm and use it as a macro.. there's a number of threads here available to tell you how..
here's one of mine w/smc-m50mm, f1.4

Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:44 PM   #3

Unless you have lots of money dont expect a good 1:1 macro.

Robar's 50mm reversing method is very cheap and effective and ive taken some very good pictures like this.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:54 PM   #4

thank you. i was wondering if the reversing ring would be the way to go. i guess i will have to keep an eye on ebay.

nice spider.

ellen fl
Old Nov 14, 2005, 9:18 PM   #5

is 49mm all i need to know when buying a reversing ring?

tia

ellen fl
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:04 PM   #6

The filter size of the lens you want to reverse. For example, the diameter of my 50mm is 52mm, yours might be different.

They are easy enough to make if you have a circular drill bit / spade bit, a spare filter ring and some epoxy.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:15 PM   #7

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
is 49mm all i need to know when buying a reversing ring?

tia

ellen fl
if that's the filter size of the lens you are reversing, then yes, that's all you need. if you want to use another lens w/a different filter size all you will need in a step up or down ring.. however, i see the sigma 105mm, f2.8, 1:1 macro on ebay all the time for about $279us all the time. wish i had the $$$ but there are other things right now..l
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:55 PM   #8

thanks, but they seem to be cheap enough to buy. my 50mm diameter is 49mm. there seems to be plenty of places to buy the ring. i guess i shoulda used my first-time-customer discount when i bought the camera to get the ring. oh, well.

ellen fl
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:21 AM   #9

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
thanks, but they seem to be cheap enough to buy. my 50mm diameter is 49mm. there seems to be plenty of places to buy the ring. i guess i shoulda used my first-time-customer discount when i bought the camera to get the ring. oh, well.

ellen fl

A reverse-ring makes sense only with scales more than 1:1. The reason: a lens is calculated, that the "longer distance" is from the front lens, for ratios under 1:1 the distance object-frontlens is longer than the distance backlens-sensor(/film) - ratios over 1:1 (i.e. the picture on sensor/film is larger than the original) the distances are reversed.

For beginning with makros I recommend tubes or bellows. The "top-solution" is a special makro lens - best quality at highest price (be careful with cheap makros: most of them are not worth the money!).
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 4:21 PM   #10

"A reverse-ring makes sense only with scales more than 1:1. "

so the reversing ring will work on my 50mm with 1:3.9 ration, right?

will a 1:1 - 2x teleconverter work?

i want to take extreme close-ups so i am thinking of looking for a 100mm - 1:1 macro lens. is this what i should be looking for? also, should i look for a lens closer to f2.8 than f8? my main desire is to get everything in focus in close-up.

i take pics of orchids and often the lip of the flower is out of focus as it protrudes towards me. in other words, i need a decent dof to get the whole bloom, which is not on a flat plane, in focus.

i guess what i am asking for here is a close-up lesson!

tia

ellen