Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:27 PM   #11

Just replying to note that the upgrade works perfectly for the *istDL as well but I do agree with dan-mx-ds2 that the use of the open button is not very intuitive. BTW does the -mx- mean you owned a Pentax MX?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:50 AM   #12

Ira, actually the "mx" in my screen name means I still do own a Pentax MX, and I still like it and use it. It's been a great camera for me for 24 years now, and it rides in my camera bag right next to my new DS2. I'm having a great time using my equally old SMCP-M 50mm f1.4 and SMCP-M 75-150mm f4.0 lenses on the DS2...just last weekend I was shooting my son's basketball game with the zoom on the DS2 (equiv 110-220mm or so) wide open, Av mode, ISO 1600, JPG ***, and they turned out great.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:09 PM   #13

dan-mx-ds2 I still own a KX, a K1000 and an MZ7, and my SMCP-M 50mm f1.7 and my XR Rikenon 135mm f2.8 and 28mm f2.8 are also fun to use. My first Pentax was an ME Super so I am very familiar with the M series cameras.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:07 PM   #14

Hi, I have PS 6.01 and was wondering if i need to upgrade to PS CS II to open RAW images from my DL on a PC?
Thanks!

Martin in Sydney
alfadownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:50 AM   #15

Martin,

Yes, it seems you will need to upgrade. It takes the Adobe Camera Raw 3.3 plug-in to open DL (or DS2) files. Adobe says "The Camera Raw 3.3 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS2 or versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 3.0."

The final version's available now (replacing the beta version discussed above) at www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html, for Mac or Windows...I'm using it with the Mac version of PS Elements 3.0.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:40 AM   #16

Thank you, Dan. I guess I'll upgrade soon!

Cheers!
alfadownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:04 AM   #17

If you are satisfied with what editing you can doin Photoshop 6 and don't want to throw down a small fortune for CS2, then I'd suggest looking into Photoshop Elements 3.0 if you have a mac and 4.0 if you have a PC. Elements is a pretty solid program that will give you many of the options of CS2 at a fraction of the cost. Even though I have CS2 I still use Elements 3.0 to do some of my lighter editing... The work flow from Elements is set up for ease and I think it takes less time to just work from there.. I still have a hard time switching to Adobe Bridge from the Elements Browser, I just like it better..

Now if you are interested in HDR photomerge and Panoramic Merge, you'll get more satisfaction out of CS2. HDR has got to be one of the coolest tools we have to work with now... Bracket your exposures (using a tripos of course) and then merge them into a High Dynamic Range photo. Awesome...

It's all about what you are wanting to do. I'd suggest you look into Elements before blowing your money on CS2.. But if it's high end editing you're after go for it...
moutainmandave is offline   Reply With Quote