Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:43 PM   #1

Hi folks;

The raw converter is available in Beta from the Adobe raw website.

It will work with PE4 and CS2, but only partially with PE3 (where it is not supported in the Organizer function).

I have converted several PEF files, and one of them ended up with colour bars/stripes through the centre.

I'll fiddle with it some more.

Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:08 AM   #2

rich,
this is a great stand alone open source raw program. i don't know if it supports the dl but give it a try..

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...ssentials.html

roy
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:17 AM   #3

Hi Roy;

Someone on the Adobe forum told me about Rawshooter.... I tried it, but discovered that the jpeg images it automatically cranked out were nowhere near as good as those that automatically came out of the Pentax PhotoLab. For where I'm at I haven't done much with tweaking.

I actually think that the firmware on the DS2 does a great job of converting to jpeg in the camera, compared to reviews I read on the earlier models (DS and D).

The warning with the Adobe Beta is that I ended up with a PEF file that had two rainbow lines right through the centre that weren't there when I loaded it to convert to DNG. Both the DNG and the PEF were affected.

That's a beta for you!

Rich
Old Nov 17, 2005, 6:51 AM   #4

i've never used the auto function with any program. the point is to process raw yourself. i completely pleased w/the jpeg quality from the DS. it's just , if i'm shooting for me then it's raw all the way.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:36 AM   #5

Hi Roy;

I'm using auto conversion because at this time I'm a newbie to "real" digital photography, having had a P&S Optio 550 for 2 years, and for the moment I just want to look at what I've taken using the software I've invested in.... I've got thousands of photos in PhotoShop Elements all nicely tagged in several catalogues for ministry and home, etc. So with the DS2, I convert to jpeg so PSE3 will pick them up and organize.

That said, I've been using raw mode because I want the option of going back to it if I ever figure out what I'm doing.:?

Rich

Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:55 AM   #6

I just got a DS2, and downloaded the Camera Raw 3.3 beta for use on my Mac in PS Elements 3.0. I can open and adjust my RAW images, but my only option for saving seems to be DNG format. I can't figure out how to convert to JPG. Does one of the esteemed forum readers out there know how to get from Pentax RAW to JPG on a Mac/PSE3 setup?
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:36 PM   #7

You don't need to convert to adobe DNG to edit PEFs in PS. PS CS - CS2 supports PEF files.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:42 PM   #8

dan-mx-ds2 wrote:
Quote:
I just got a DS2, and downloaded the Camera Raw 3.3 beta for use on my Mac in PS Elements 3.0. I can open and adjust my RAW images, but my only option for saving seems to be DNG format. I can't figure out how to convert to JPG. Does one of the esteemed forum readers out there know how to get from Pentax RAW to JPG on a Mac/PSE3 setup?
dan, i know nothing about macs but try saving as dng then open them again in pse3 and see if it'll save as jpg.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:42 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still stumped. pic_*ist, thanks but I don't have full Photoshop, just the Mac version of PS Elements 3.0 (the latest currently available for Mac). Roy, thanks...I tried but it didn't work. Both PEF and DNG files only open up in the Camera RAW window, from which my only option seems to be to save as DNG. I can't get them into the main working window of PSE. Maybe I just need to wait for a Camera RAW update (it is beta, after all)...
Old Jan 7, 2006, 5:30 PM   #10

Well, I figured out my problem with the Camera RAW 3.3 beta in Photoshop Elements 3 on my Mac. It was user error...when I opened a PEF file, the Camera Raw window opened, and I could adjust the image. All was well until I clicked the "Save..." button, which would only permit saving into DNG format. It turns out I needed to click the "Open" button (which is not intuitively obvious, at least not to me), which then put my adjusted image in the main PSE editing window. From there, of course, I can edit and save into any format I please, including JPG. The Help file erroneously speaks of clicking "OK," not "Open," and I didn't think I needed to "open" an image that I had already "opened."

Oh well -- hope my experience is helpful to someone else. BTW, so far the CR 3.3 beta is working fine with my DS2 RAW files.

Dan