Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 7, 2006, 5:38 PM   #11

I got a DL for Christmas, and I had a friend's DS for a couple of weeks in October. The DL truly impressed me byreally feeling and working just as nicely as the DS. Mine has the chrome finish, which is much nicer than the finish on Canon's Rebel 300D, and fits nicely with my Pentax film cameras. Used an old 50mm f1.7 M-series lens last night, with the white balance set to tungsten and theISO to 1600,to takesome pictures of a family card game, the shallow DOF (using the lens wide open) made focus critical but the results were fantastic.

This camera has my highest recommendation (along with the DS and DS2)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:41 AM   #12

rritter wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking at the DL, how do you like yours?
i bought it in mid nov last year and could not be happier

still learning its great feature

i have 3 lens - the kit 36-70, 50mm-A 2 and a new 75-300

the 75-300 wins big time - maybe it is just me

a lot of people would have said 50mm is the best

my level of expertise (or the lack thereof) is about 7000 dig pict from my canon g1 days

daniel
toronto
Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:31 AM   #13

I think it is the lack of ozone...hahahha here another I took the other night.:lol:
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:08 PM   #14

Wicked good pics down there!
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:14 PM   #15

Here is a little bit of Australia in Gander, Newfoundland, Canada, my son's bearded dragon.

The picture was shot with an old Sigma 70-210mm UC ZOOM f:4-5.6 lens (got it off ebay for about $50 shipping included), this is at 210mm (remember that this ia equivalent to 315mm on 35mm), 1/180th shutter speed with the internal flash (everything set on program).

Enjoy

Ira
Attached Images

Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:39 AM   #16

I am surprised he survives the cold. Cheeky little fellas aren't they????:blah::blah:
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:42 AM   #17

I got a little artistic with the moon on this one. :lol:
Attached Images

Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:37 AM   #18

Crashman what do you mean cold!!!!

Five minutes ago, my back yard.

Lens, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6

Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2006, 4:21 PM   #19

Were all of these taken with "Kit" lenses???? If so, are the DA lenses superior to the standard FA lenses? i.e. FA35mmf4-80mmf5.6 and FA80mmf4.5-320mmf5.6 ??? I'm hoping that these lenses do a good job, but it looks like the DA lenses may be much more lens than these FA's that I have.... I just haven't been able to try one out yet... I can't even find a DS2 in stock online anywhere... including ebay. Much less one here in town that I can try out...
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:06 PM   #20

Boog

The DA kit lens is not a better lens then the FA lenses you have, BUT with your present lenses you will not have the wide angle end covered. That is the advantage of the 18-55mm kit lens, with your lenses the 35mm will act like a 53mm, not wide at all, but your 320mm will give the angle of view of a 480mm.

Do not get the idea that the DA lenses are better, you have good lenses there, the only DA lens I own is the kit 18-55mm lens, and that is only because it is a very cost effective way to get a wide angle lens. I have no intentions of purchasing any other DA lenses.The FA glass will still work on your film camera while the DA lens will vignette the corners badly on theses cameras. There arehowever two nice thingsabout the DA 18-55mm, it does not rotate the front element so it is perfect for use with a circular polarizer (the opening in the bottom of the lens hood is a very nice touch) and secondly the fact that you can manually turn the focus ring even when the camera is in AF mode (great for fine tuning).

Get the 18-55 and either camera, DS, DS2 or even DL, and you will find your lenses will be the perfect complement, creating a range from 18-320mm.

Ira

BTW here is what I keep in my camera bag:
1- SMC Pentax DA 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 - came with my DL, covers the wide angle end and works great with a polarizer.
2- SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.7 - great "portrait" lens for dSLR
3- SMC Pentax FA 28-80mm f3.5/5.6- this was myfirst AF lens, rather slow at the long end, this is the "silver" finish lens to match the MZ-7
4- Sigma 70-210mm UC ZOOM f:4-5.6 - my second AF lens, also slow but very compact, and quite sharp.